Gluvit alternative?

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Hey guys{& gals} could use your thoughts on a possible alternative to gluvit. Back in the day when I was in shape{lol} we used to do roofing for a living, residential & commercial. The commercial jobs are what came to mind while contemplating my options on sealers, as we did quite a few 'tin' roofs with a variety of products with great results. Anyways, not knowing whats new in the field I sent off a question in search of info....here's how it went {& there's a link to the product in the reply I received today}. anticipating your thoughts as there seems to a nice $ advantage per gallon anyways.....T.I.A.

PS: no, I'm not the same guy/company with the manuals lol

my message followed by reply......

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Product Inquiry
Date: Wed, November 25, 2009 11:22 pm
To:EDIT
Hi, hopefully a quick question for you. I'm planning on sealing the inside hull of my aluminum boat. I need something waterproof, at least semi free flowing{brushable} and flexible enough to withstand some vibration. Intended coverage is for pin-holes &/or leaky rivets and all seams. Would you have anything in your product line you could recommend? This will be a below waterline installation and will be protected from sunlight.
Thankyou very much for your time........Kenneth

RE: Product InquiryThursday, November 26, 2009 12:18 PM
From: "bob@bestmaterials.com" <bob@bestmaterials.com>Add sender to Contacts
To: "Ken Cook" ************t>
Hello Ken,

Thank you for your inquiry!

I would consider AES for your project:
EDIT

Application:
Clean surfaces well. Sand lightly to get a fresh surfaces.
Mix a small batch and apply first to all the rivets and problem areas. Let this cure.
Repeat as needed to build material thickness in these areas.

Apply 2 thin coats.

We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Sincerely,
Bob Marrs
Best Materials LLC
& Copperstate Roofing Supply
2338 N. 33rd Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85009
EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Gluvit alternative?

Kenny only thing I will say here is the sale price of that stuff is $68.00 while a 2 pound kit of Gluvit is usually right at $50.00 and the gluvit is proven and the epoxy you are looking at is not . :D

Rick

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

lol, maybe I should spend time searching distributors, rather than trying to penny pinch...:redface:

more > :redface: ...2 pound kit equals ?{conversion help please}

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kenny the 2 pound kit is a quart which should be more than enough to do an 18'er :D.

Rick

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Rick, rookie mistake, not doing enough research...appreciate the help!!!

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think that the West Systems G/Flex 650 is a comperable product from a different company. It's a two part epoxy that has a high elongation coefficent - it's flexible.

I'm using the 655, which is thickened, as a structural adhesive on my project boat, (search for grumman 184). It works so easily that I decided to coat the inside of my tin transom to cover/protect the surface and fill corrosion pits and the small holes in the transom from depth finders, nail on lettering (I'm not kidding) and the speedo pitot tube.

I have a 2# kit of Gluvit, but I'm thinking of sending it back and continuing with the G/flex.

The West Systems web site shows them using it to fill seams on an aluminum canoe, and also to patch a hole in an aluminum canoe.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes the west systems works and it is only about twice the money to do the same coverage as gluvit

If the west systems web site showed it fixing an aluminum canoe did you ever think they are pushing to sell their own product? What if their web site said it cured cancer.... would you rush out and buy it? I have used gluvit on 4 of my own projects and numerous people have used it on their projects too.

When we speak of gluvit they are iboats people giving their first hand knowledge ...... Think outside the box.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

PB, I just did my 18' with Gluvit. It's a nice product. It goes on easy, has a pretty good working time, and after it goes on it actually seems to thin out a little bit which allows it to flow into any leaks before it hardens. Nice product and I wouldn't bother looking for alternatives. The quart size was JUST enough to do my 18'.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You should look in to a product called Steelflex. It's an epoxy that you apply to the exterior of the hull.

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the west systems works and it is only about twice the money to do the same coverage as gluvit

If the west systems web site showed it fixing an aluminum canoe did you ever think they are pushing to sell their own product? What if their web site said it cured cancer.... would you rush out and buy it? I have used gluvit on 4 of my own projects and numerous people have used it on their projects too.

When we speak of gluvit they are iboats people giving their first hand knowledge ...... Think outside the box.

Kind of harsh here???

I was just trying to offer an alternative, and I think that is thinking outside the box.

I just paid $55 for a quart of Gluvit, and $71 for two quarts of G/Flex, so it's less expensive.

Since I haven't used the thin G/Flex, and also haven't opened the Gluvit, I can't give a real comparrison, but neither can anyone else who hasn't used both products.

The G/Flex is a new product, so it may not be as well known, or had as many people try it yet. Just because it's new doesn't mean that you shouldn't try it. Technology, especially in polymers, marches on.

I bought the G/Flex as a structural adhesive with some amount of flex. Again, I was just trying to offer an alternative.....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes I am harsh on it. ;)

I am familiar with G/flex and it's use. It is an epoxy adhesive used to make things stick together. It is not designed to flow as gluvit it or to be used as a barrier coating. It does not have the same properties as gluvit.

It is not as new as you think.

Than answer is simple..... right product for the right job. Adhesive to stick things together and a sealant to prevent and stop leaks.