Glue or not to Glue?

dwci97

Seaman
We are in the middle of a sweet custom rebuild of an old wooden Thompson. What I was wondering is if I should glue the new bow and barrelback plywood down to the framing members. When we removed the old delaminated plywood, it literally just popped off. It definetly was glued with some type of adhesive. It appeared to be a construction adhesive that doesnt penetrate the wood grain very well and its long term adhesion capability is not very good. Before we apply the new bow and barrelback plywood should we use a wood glue, construction adhesive, or some other type of glue. Or should we forget about using any glue and just fasten it with screws. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

D

DJ

Re: Glue or not to Glue?

dwci,<br /><br />I would glue it with a waterproof wood glue. At least glue it where the fasteners will attach.<br /><br />My parents had an old Thompson (1958-17') what a beautiful boat. It was very maintenance intensive, but the looks and comments received were well worth the trouble.<br /><br />Good Luck!

BillP

Captain

That may have been anti-fungicidal bedding compound instead of glue. This was commonly used on wood boats where parts met and needed to keep rot causing moisture out. The beding had "rot killer" in the mix. Glueing isn't desirable because it makes replacing rotted parts difficult and destructive. Either way, you can glue or just bed the ply to the frames.

dwci97

Seaman

Thanks for the help guys. If anyone wants to put in their ideas I would like all the info I can obtain. Thanks again.