Global warming?

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Global warming?

I wouldn't say that it is arrogant to think that man could change our climate. We could be. The problem is that we really don't know. We don't have enough data to determine that. We've been taking weather readings in this country for only about 150 years. That may be enough to show an extremely small cyclic change, but it doesn't show us how that change fits into a 50,000 year or 50,000,000 year cycle.

Stratosfied

Ensign

I took chemistry under a PhD in Nuclear Chemistry. This was during the time that we were outlawing the freon. Now, we all know that ozone is an O3 oxygen molecule and that all fire needs oxygen as a source for its being. Now consider this, how much ozone do you think is being burned up (consumed) each and every time the space shuttle goes burning out and into this atmosphere? She theorized that we could release all the freon in the world at once and not harm the ozone layer as much as one shuttle launch/reentry. Now as I remember, nothing was ever mentioned about the ozone layer until we started blasting those sattelites up every two months. ;) Just a thought....

KennyKenCan

Commander

mellow,<br /><br />You just seemed to be knowlegable about them soaps, so I did the unimaginable, I assumed.<br /><br />And yes, I know what happens if I assume...<br /><br />I'd make an a$$ out of U and me!<br /><br />Guess I made myself an a$$.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Marlena is obsessed again.<br /><br />And that Julian Crane is a bad, bad man, but not near as mean as his daddy.<br /><br />"I'm pulling for ya, we are all in this together." :p

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

The whole Global Warming thing is crap. The earth goes through its own cycles, and from what I have read, we are actually due for a mini ice age. The last one was in the 1800s, and the average temps were 3 or 4 degrees cooler than now, but the entire northern hemispere had horrible winters. As far as I am concerned, if we can keep things as clean and non poluting as possible without getting enviromaniacle about it then things will be fine. We only think we are damaging the planet when in fact it does a good job of damaging itself. Another interesting tidbit is that the moon is getting 1 inch a year farther away. At certain point it will just drift out of orbit, which will throw our rotation into chaos. Pretty much everything on earth will get wiped out. Its a while off, so I doubt we have to worry about it for a few million years.<br /><br />Also, it is okay for a man to watch soap operas as long as he goes out in the garage afterwards and rebuilds a carburetor or something.

PW2

Commander

It is always interesting to see what affiliations these web sites have, and who funds them. In this particular case:<br /><br />---quote on---<br /><br />The Greening Earth Society (GES) was founded on Earth Day 1998 by the Western Fuels Association to promote the view that increasing levels of atmospheric CO2 are good for humanity. GES and Western Fuels are essentially the same organization. Both used to be located at the same office suite in Arlington, VA. Until December 2000, Fred Palmer chaired both institutions. The GES is now chaired by Bob Norrgard, another long-term Western Fuels associate. The Western Fuels Assocation (WFA) is a cooperative of coal-dependent utilities in the western states that works in part to discredit climate change science and to prevent regulations that might damage coal-related industries.<br /><br />Spin: CO2 emissions are good for the planet; coal is the best energy source we have.<br /><br />Affiliated Individuals: Patrick Michaels, Robert Balling, David Wojick, Sallie Baliunas, Sylvan Wittwer, John Daley, Sherwood Idso<br /><br />Funding: The Greening Earth Society receives its funding from the Western Fuels Association, which in turn receives its funding from its coal and utility company members.<br /><br />-end qutoe<br /><br />I'll be the first one to suggest that some radicals in the environmental movement have attempted to hijack the cause into something it is not, but it is folly to think that humans, and their actions, cannot radically, and quickly, affect the environment where they live.<br /><br />We used to think that rivers and oceans were so vast we could dump anything in them, until some rivers started catching on fire, and some ocean areas became virtually barren of fish. We used to think the forests were too expansive to exhaust until we started to exhaust them. We used to think that we could dump industrial pollutants in the air until we found out that downwind lakes and forests were being severely damaged by acid rain.<br /><br />And say what you want about what you believe or not believe about global warming, but there is a dozen snomobile dealers on the North shore of Lake Huron, who mostly are going out of business because there has not been a good snow season in ten years, who would argue with you.<br /><br />By now we humans ought to have figured out that we can affect the environment we live, and we ought to adopt a policy to proceed in an environmentally neutral way when there is any doubt about the potential effects of our actions, rather than what we have always done in the past, which is wait till the damage is all too painfully evident, and try to fix it then.