Glastron v153 with johnson 85

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Glastron v153 with johnson 85

I completely understand sorry for being slow to respond.

No apology needed for me! I understand you are in school and your Dad is working hard. You take care of your priorities and update this thread when you can. I'll be right here. Meanwhile, I found the OMC Installation Instructions for the Power Tilt Kit No. 382713 on my 1968 Johnson 100. I have not been able to verify whether or not it is the proper kit for your motor. I'm going to try and attach the first page here but the capacity restrictions may block it. If successful, take a look at it and see if it matches your PT&T unit. If yes, I will scan all eight pages for you. Good luck!

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

100MEDIA36IMAG0075.jpgheres that picture hopefully you get it. I used a different post, but we got it. The picture i am showing you is of the zerk fitting. Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. I wasnt able to fit our grease gun on it and I'm just confused on how to loosen the steering.:confused:

Willyclay

Captain

The picture is visible to me. Thanks for the extra effort. I hate doing things more than once! The zerk looks normal to me. The only thought I have on why your grease gun will not fit is maybe the cable nut is blocking the gun's tip and preventing it from seating. Can the nut be tightened any to create more space? Regarding your final comment, what specifically on the steering system are you trying to "loosen"?

Last edited:

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

loosen how tight the resistance on the wheel is. It's ridiculous how tight, but it does turn. I will try to tighten that cable nut like you said, to fit the gun on.

Thanks for the help.
RAIN the next 5 days, yikes! :eek:

What are you tinkering with willy or are done with your restorations?

Willyclay

Captain

loosen how tight the resistance on the wheel is. It's ridiculous how tight, but it does turn. QUOTE]

Do not muscle-up on the steering wheel or you may damage the helm/cable beyond repair! As I said in a previous post, to identify where the problem is you must disconnect the motor from the steering cable and test each. With the motor disconnected, the steering wheel should turn very easily with virtually no resistance. If ok, the test the motor movement. It should pivot with little effort without flopping to each side.

The steering cables typically rust inside the support tube and that has to be cleaned like a shotgun barrel. That requires withdrawing the cable by removing the nut in your picture. Sometimes the cables rust internally and that usually means replacement but some members have saved them by cleaning/flushing/lubing. The helm could also be bad but that's rare.

The motor swivel must be checked for full-range of movement to each side and lubed. I will check to see if your motor has a swivel tension adjustment on it. Until you have taken both of these steps, it will not be safe to go on the water. The end results of all of these steps is to create a condition where the tension on the motor and steering system does not allow the prop torque to fight you while underway especially at higher speeds. I think your motor should have an adjustable torque tab on it which I will verify and discuss before you splash that beauty!

Check you Private Messages for an answer to your other question.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey, Thanks for the info! I promise first chance me and dad get we will try. 2 inches of rain coming tomorrow and friday. HS football just might be cancelled friday night :( And hopefully nothing turns up saturday and no rain comes so we can donate time to the boat! And ya we weren't going to take it out but need something to keep us fueled to do this right and get it done so we can.

Willyclay

Captain

The "weather guessers" around here aren't very good until about one hour out so maybe HS football will still happen. Enjoy it while you can!

I made another pass through the parts diagram/listing below and verified your motor should have a 'trim tab" mounted below the anti-ventilation plate on the gearcase. It is adjustable and used to neutralize the effects of the propellor torque on your boat. See item #47 in the gearcase group:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1970&hp=85&model=85ESL70D

I did not find anything that looked like or was listed as a "swivel or pivot tension adjustor". I will look in my non-factory manual and suggest you check your factory manual for that reference. If your motor has one, it will need to be checked for proper tension. Good luck!

EDIT: I cannot find anything about a steering tension adjustment on your motor so unless you find it in your manual, forget I mentioned it and stay focused on the other issues!

Last edited:

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yup, 3-0! Big game coming this weekend lost to them the past 3 years. but this year they suck:)

I understand that it is the corrosion preventative kit, but i do not understand what that has to do with my problem? (I don't mean to come off cocky!)

Willyclay

Captain

I understand that it is the corrosion preventative kit, but i do not understand what that has to do with my problem? (I don't mean to come off cocky!)

Us old guys do better with pictures so I was trying to show you some of the hardware available for mechanical steering connections. Don't get hung-up on the "corrosion prevention" descriptions. It is still not clear to me what is wrong with your steering system, if you have the "spashwell" mounting device or something else. Just trying to help not create confusion!

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

o ok ya we can't wait to get back to working on the boat, but the rain and plans just don't co-incide. And also the rain is horrible. finally got monday and tuesday to cut the grass, do leafs, split wood, and get other stuff done.

Willyclay

Captain

yup, 3-0! Big game coming this weekend lost to them the past 3 years. but this year they suck:)

Wow, 3-0 must have been some kind of game! Or, was it like mud-wrestling? Good luck this week but NEVER underestimate your opponent.

We can get back to the boat and motor when you have time.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha no, I meant our record is 3-0. We won 32-6! haha and ye it was mud wrestling, one end zone had a big pond/washed away. Also trying to get out was ridiculous. Had to throw the JEEP in 4wd to get out along with everyone else. A few others and to be pursuaded. haha Not sure if were going to NHRA drag races this weekend but we shall see.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Won this week 32-6! 4 and 0! heading into a tough friday night game this week. trying to work our way to focusing back on the boat!

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

O, dad and I today also cleaned up the cellar/garage and we found some pictures (a lot) In them were my families 2 previous glastrons. My grandfathers and dads. My grandfathers was beautiful with a 75 hp merc.

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I took about 25 pictures today of me and dad working on the boat. turns out they all are to big. This website needs to step up there game. Jeep Forum and all my other favorites are way farther ahead than this antique system. Takes me an hour to figure out how to upload and then i find out they are to large in size.

So now I will have to describe everything found out today.

the list:
1. We un-bolted the motor from the steering. the motor swivels perfectly on its own.
2. We got the aluminum pipe thing (as you described willy a "gun barrel") off. Not a thing of rust but milky nasty grease on the walls.
3. I turned that nut thing that was previously blocking my grease gun to get the pipe thing off and im now able to pump some grease but as it turns out were all out of grease.
4. With the pipe off and the motor un-bolted we still are getting resistance. I believe its coming from the area where the cable thing expands or contracts? -Any more info or suggestions on what to do.
5. Turns out i do not believe we have power tilt. reason i say this after further looking turns out the toggle i thought was the tilt is actually the "lift toggle for full choke"
6. This steering problem really has me and dad flustered. I've checked every forum and google and classic glastron in the garage tonight and nothing. My neighbor has/had a bad case of shingles and my uncles not sure himself. My uncles response was go to hydraulic steering, which the idea sounds great to me. haha

*the pictures had the whole process of everything we did tonight and many which i was going to ask questions but stupid uploader*

But we need help i beg anyone to give us something to try!!!!
(will appreciate anything)

Cowboyup94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont know if its the helm or if its the steering cable. I'm starting maybe to think when i took of the steering wheel i didnt put it back together correctly. Resulting in problems with the helm. Just a guess im not sure though.

Willyclay

Captain

Sorry you had problems with the pictures because they really help those of us on this end. Now you need to disconnect the steering cable from the helm to determine if it is the helm or the cable that is binding. To do that it may be necessary to remove the steering wheel again and dismount the helm from the dash. FYI, a kink in the cable will create the problem you are describing. I believe Teleflex recommends a minimum radius of one foot for cable bends. If the support tube had "milky, nasty grease", then water has been in there and may have migrated back into the cable housing creating rust inside it which would also cause the problem. Some members have reported success with freeing-up bad cables by hanging them straight up, flushing them with solvents like mineral spirits or automatic transmission fluid for days/weeks and letting gravity do the work. Some have even claimed success with injecting grease into the cables housings with a compressed air grease gun. I have not tried either approach. Maybe some other forum members will post in with different ideas. Worst case, you replace the helm and cable. Good luck!

EDIT: Here's a link to a home-made compressed air penetrating oil/lubricant injector.

http://www.hydrostream.org/ArticleArchives/Luber.htm

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain

I dont know if its the helm or if its the steering cable. I'm starting maybe to think when i took of the steering wheel i didnt put it back together correctly. Resulting in problems with the helm. Just a guess im not sure though.

Did the steering work better or okay BEFORE you started taking stuff apart?