Glastron Carlson CVX 20 Sprint rebuild

stealdesk

Cadet
I am starting to rebuild my boat. I will need to replace the stringers, transom and floor.
So I was thinking of using Sea cast for the transom, and possibly for the stringers also but I will decide that when I get the floor out. As you can see in one of the pics the center stinger is totally shot. It will be powered by a Johnson GT175 once it is done.

Attachments

• 2011-01-18 17.57.27.jpg
    2011-01-18 17.57.27.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 2011-01-18 17.57.11.jpg
    2011-01-18 17.57.11.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2011-01-18 17.56.29.jpg
    2011-01-18 17.56.29.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 2
  • 2011-01-18 17.59.24.jpg
    2011-01-18 17.59.24.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 4
  • 2011-01-18 17.56.50.jpg
    2011-01-18 17.56.50.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 3

stealdesk

Cadet
Re: Glastron Carlson CVX 20 Sprint rebuild

Forgot this one :D

Attachments

• 2010-11-14 10.47.09.jpg
    2010-11-14 10.47.09.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Cool old boat. There is a big following for those old CVX20's. We have a couple of them on my side of town with jets in them. in fact we have one guy doing a floor in one right now. I'm sure he be happy for you to come check it out. You should come out to Lavon one day when you get it done. Most of our crowd is jets but anyone is welcome.

Here is a link to the floor James is doing.
http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=11522.0

stealdesk

Cadet

I was wanting to get the jet version but could not find one. So I settled with the o/b one. Its going to be a big job gettin this won going. Do you know of any deals on poly resin and fiberglass in the DFW area? If the weather holds up I will be splitting the hull and deck this weekend.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

I was wanting to get the jet version but could not find one. So I settled with the o/b one. Its going to be a big job gettin this won going. Do you know of any deals on poly resin and fiberglass in the DFW area? If the weather holds up I will be splitting the hull and deck this weekend.

Cool project. iBoats is the place for restoration. Have you also found the classicglastron.com site? Both excellent resources for your restore.

I'm anxious to see how it turns out! I have the CVZ-19 Outboard version & CVZ-18 I/O version.

I used seacast on my boat, and it was great. I'd recommend it.

Good luck!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Man that is one cool ride. Thank you for saving it from the dump or a parts stripper. That will be sharp hitting the waves. Hope you post more of this beauty.

stealdesk

Cadet

I have posted pics up on CG but wanted to share here too. I really need some window frames for this. if you know of some PLEASE let me know. Any that were on the cvx`s will fit. I do plane on ordering a new windshield. Thanks for the comments I cant wait to get it out on the water.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

If you wanted a jet you really need to come out one day and hang out with us. You will be welcomed with open arms and maybe the occational shot to the ribs for the egg beater. LOL. I do not know of any good deals on glass and resin in Dallas. When I did the floor in my Rebel I used the West System epoxy from West Marine and marine ply from Craddock lumber. It was a little pricey but I am very confident I will not have to do it again. This site is great and if you want some local info you might check around over on TexasHotBoats.com Someone over there may have a hook up on resin in DFW. There is another member over there (Gem427) that recently purchased a CVX-20 jet. He went to North East Arkansas to get his. Be sure to post pic of your progress.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Found the project thread over there as well. There is a parts boat for sale on CL. I believe it has all the parts you need all on it...and you'll even like the color. :)

stealdesk

Cadet

Got some more work done on the boat this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, most guys use Doug Fir Ply Ext Grade. Just make sure to coat it good with resin and then do a good job on the edges when you apply the CSM. It'll last for 40 years. You can use it for the stringer, transom and deck. It uses 100% waterproof glue just like Marine grade. Only diff is it may have a few voids in the lams. Do a search for Archbuilder on the forum. His rebuild is similar to yours and he used seacast. You'll learn a lot.

stealdesk

Cadet

Yep that was one of the first threads I had looked at. What about drying time after I get the wood? I know treated wood needs a long time to dry but waht about Douglas Fir Ply Ext Grade? I want to get going on the stringers this weekend. I have read about using PL200 to bed the stringers with and seams like a good easy solution. I finished the transome with seacast a week ago.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If the Ply was stored inside at the distributor you should be good to go. PL is the Way to go for bedding your stringers.

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wondering what year your's is?The center section between the back seat and the well is different than mine.I didn't realize there was that much foam in the back corners either.

Good to see another Carlson coming back to life.Gotta be one of the best looking boats ever built IMHO.

stealdesk

Cadet

Just wondering what year your's is?The center section between the back seat and the well is different than mine.I didn't realize there was that much foam in the back corners either.

Good to see another Carlson coming back to life.Gotta be one of the best looking boats ever built IMHO.

Sorry I dont know how I missed you post, it is a 1977. Please post some pics of yours I really would like to see how different it is. I also need a pic of the gauge panel mine looks like swiss cheeze. I see your in Canada my wife is from Toronto.

stealdesk

Cadet

I have the center stringer in now. When I glass in the stringer is it ok to do it in 3 or 4 foot sections or does the glass need to be full length. I am using 2 layers of 1708.

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry I dont know how I missed you post, it is a 1977. Please post some pics of yours I really would like to see how different it is. I also need a pic of the gauge panel mine looks like swiss cheeze. I see your in Canada my wife is from Toronto.

I don't have much for pictures right now(none of the dash or back by the motor) and it won't be out for probably another month.No pictures on the water yet either.I bought mine in Sept of 09 and spent most of last summer getting the old Tower to run right.Guy I bought it from said the motor needed to be built.Got it running pretty decent(46 GPS)but the tach wasn't working so I couldn't get too carried away with setup.In the meantime I picked up a V6 150,but the boat really needs a 200.I'd like to get rid of both the 150's and get a 200.At the rate you're going you'll be done by the time I get mine uncovered.

BTW I'm about 100 miles north of Toronto,right on the bottom of Georgian Bay(Part of Lake Huron).

stealdesk

Cadet

I have pretty much used up the first 5 gallons of poly resin. I need a little longer working time so I ordered some vinyl ester resin this time. We will see how much longer pot life I get this time.