gl5 oil all the same?

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well so is the price of parts that can get damaged using the wrong oil.
Volvo Penta used to recommend using Mobilube 1 75W - 90 SHC for the DP-SM outdrives if you could not get Volvo GL5.
Your choice.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i run amsoil with the GM limited slip additive

kdiddle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just to provide my (possibly useless) two cents...I also choked at the $30/qt for Volvo oil and ran a GL5 oil I found at my local parts store for a single season. Every time I would shift into gear when warm, it would hesitate before finally grabbing, which was explained to me was my clutch cones slipping. After reading into what kind of damage/cost that can cause, the $30/qt price isn't so hard to swallow anymore.

I've been running Volvo oil ever since and have yet to ever have the slip return. TL;DR - boating isn't cheap, and sometimes being cheap is the most expensive route you can take...

Just my opinion...

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I think you're right. Can you recommend another oil other than the Volvo brand? The price is outrageous for them
I use Amsoil marine drive oil. I have spoke with them and their tech indicated that it is safe for cone clutch drives.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
BTW, Amsoil at Fleet Farm (if you live in the midwest) is $11 a quart. its $13.40 on the Amsoil site (and about $15 everywhere else)