GKN Style U joints

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes I read the adults only section. Those u joints are the internal C-clip and the GKN style are the external clip.

So does anyone have the precsion or other part number for this style of joint?

I searched and there are a couple of threads with GKN style joints in them but nothing about the different manufactures versus the marine version.

I can snap the SN of the drive but it's from the 97-98 years.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: GKN Style U joints

Thats for VP stuff Don. I am really looking for a Napa or Autozone PN versus the Sierra number or even Merc number

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Napa carries Sierra, 'n I'm sure they can cross the number to another supplier...

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well Don was right once again. I get why you sent me there Don.

Since the Sierra number is 18-6406 and that cross references to a Volvo u joint withthe number 3860232.

There is some info on the net for that PN from Volvo.

Neapco 1-0005 note: All units I found had the bearing cup mounted zirc-that won't work.
Precision 344
Napa NPJ P344 this has a heat treated cross list $21.42
Napa PUJ 344 this has a forged cross list $29.99
Spicer 5-4x
AEC 504 made in China can buy 2 on Ebay for $25 delivered(will confirm location of zirc)
Rockford K4
Alloy 1021
Autozone Duralast 1-005DL

Thanks Don.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I bought the PUJ 344 joints and they measured out the same as the stock ones.

But I have a problem now, when I went to reinstall them the rings weren't able to be seated. I don't think I squeezed the outside of the ear closer with my u-joint press but that's what it looks like when I get one side installed. Also the u-joint binds when I spin, so I think something is off for sure.

I have replaced atleast 20-30 u joints in 4x4 shafts over the years so I know what's going on and how to do it but I had a little extra trouble getting these out.

Now the delima is if I get a port-a-power and open the ears up what will make it be balanced versus being off a bunch?

I think I may have a better route but I can't find an answer out. Do the yokes with the inside and outside clips mount to the upper case the same? This way I can buy a new assembly and be done with it all.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't think spreading them would be a good idea, First of all you would probably only move one side, then you would have a balance problem, second, you would change the angle of the bore in the yoke, and it would align with the other side.
The Sierra ujoints came with different thicknesses of snap rings.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried using the orgianl snap rings since the snap rings that came with it were thicker.

Don S

Sounds to me like the PUJ 344 is not a good option as a replacement. It doesn't fit properly.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well it measured out right and I think I bent them in but I think I am moving past that now.

Don do you know if the connection from the input yokes are the same besides the snap ring locations?

Don S

Never compared them nor had a reason to. Typically, when you start trying to change things like that, it ends up costing more than doing the job right. Sometime the modification doesn't work at all, but you put a lot of money into finding out.

ziggy

Admiral

fwiw

i got convinced years ago here on iboats to just use oem parts. they tend to fit proper + be of the proper quality that mercruiser dictates.

i did my ujoints a few years ago. paid extra for oem ujoints, but they sure did fit proper and not give me grief when R&Ring them. to me, that was worth the extra cost of the oem part. being able to do the job w/o (or as little as possible for my shade tree skills) grief that is.. modifying new parts to fit just plain is a bummer imho.. i still buy oem parts when feasable... they work better, cost me more and fit proper... i'll take the trade off for the expense..

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got a hold of Aftermarket Marine and they sell an assembled driveshaft with the inside rings for $160 and I think that is my best option right now versus even messing with the yokes. I will let you know how that goes.

Aftermarket Marine said it's a direct replacement.