Give me your opinion on this bell housing gasket

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Last October, after I installed the drive I noticed the gasket kinda squeezing out a little. Figured no big deal. Fast forward thru winter to now and I was changing the drive decals and caught the bell housing gasket now a little is hanging out more. I am pretty sure I want to change it, but I just wanted to get you all's opinions... run it as is, or change it now? If it matters, this is a quicksilver gasket set. Let me know, Thanks!
IMG_20140403_071923_521.jpg

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Give me your opinion on this bell housing gasket

Change it it now before putting it in the water......Only $6 bucks for a gasket set.....Last thing you need to worry about is if your drive is filling up with water!

Fun Times

Staff member

That seems to happen with these gaskets. With the new gasket, you may have to try your best at finding the center as the gasket does slide around due to design then either use a very small amount of adhesive in a couple of spots or coat the bell housing with grease to help hold the gasket in place so it won't move. When installing the mounting hardware, Criss cross holding nuts and torque to 50 lb-ft.

Bondo

Staff member

That seems to happen with these gaskets. With the new gasket, you may have to try your best at finding the center as the gasket does slide around due to design then either use a very small amount of adhesive in a couple of spots or coat the bell housing with grease to help hold the gasket in place so it won't move. When installing the mounting hardware, Criss cross holding nuts and torque to 50 lb-ft.

Ayuh,.... Looks Over-tightened to me,....

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I always torque it in a star like pattern... and I actually use a torque wrench! I even dab a little perfect seal on those thin edges to help hold her in place. I know changing it is the right thing to do... and that was my first instinct. But I wanted a second opinion.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Done and changed! I got the drive pushed flush against the bell housing by hand, ran the nuts down to almost snug, then I pushed the gaskets inward a little. Then continued with torquing. Everything is flush and looking good.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I've found that even with the proper torque specs,the gasket can do that. Usually the nylock nut's are not doing their job anymore. They spin on to easily,thus the tourque of the nut is less,making you overtighten without realizing it.