Git Rot or Seacast Good or bad?

Paulinct

Cadet
Hi Everyone,<br />I recently found this site and realize there is a ton of information here. I am hoping you can save me some mistake time :) I have a 1989 Larson Senza with 5.7 mercruiser I/O. The boat is in good shape but the back corner of the floor was spongy. so I took out all the seating and started pulling up the carpet. As suspected the wood was rotted. So I cut away some of the plywood and drained the gas tank and pulled that out. I took some pics I will try post them soon. <br /><br />Ok now the questions :D . The port side stringer seems to be in pretty good shape , except for a couple of places. I am considering using "Git Rot" or something similar. Does anyone have any experiece with this stuff anything to watch out for? <br />I also noticed the wood on either side of the tank is rotted. It is only 3/4 inch plywood. I assume it is there to have a place to fasten the aluminum tank (not structural?) How ever the bottom few inches are glassed into the hull. I thought about placing some 1/4 inch along there and using "Sea cast pourable transom mixture". Again anyone use this product? Good ,bad and the ugly? :) <br />The original deck was not glassed over (just marine carpet). The plywood was glassed to the exterior bulkheads (about 6 inches in). After replacing the plywood I plan on resin coating the new plywood or even a layer of fiberglass then the carpet.<br />Well I am sorry for the long post but just trying to give the details. Thanks for any info. I hope to be able to return the favor in the future.<br />New to boat rebuilding but not new to boating :D

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Git Rot or Seacast Good or bad?

Have to dry out the wood real good to get the Git Rot to take. Get some fans in there and use acetone on the rotten wood, helps speed up the drying, spray or squirt a couple times a day, careful of the fumes. After the Git rot hardens it use the West System and 404 filler on it. Good luck!

Paulinct

Cadet

Thanks Mike. I started with the acetone today.

G DANE

Commander

If I were you, i'd replace the center stringers. You would be surpriced if you knew how much strength a 3/4" ply adds when bonded to hull and that high. Its a boautifull boat, one of the nicest cuddy types I have seen.