Gimbal Housing Installation onto Transom

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I'm preparing to re-install my Alpha 1 gimbal housing onto the boat. Does anyone know if you need any type of sealant, or is the large o-ring seal supposed to be dry when installed? As long as my transom is flat and smooth will the o-ring be enough for a good reliable seal?

Thanks!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Use bellows adhesive to attach the ring to the housing, then it is recommended to be dry when you attach the housing to the transom. I personally like to smear a little silicone grease on the surface of the o ring when installing the transom assembly. (Not talking about the silicone gasket sealer that turns like rubber - but rather the Vaseline type of grease that is used on pool pump o-rings).

alldodge

Staff member
As long as my transom is flat and smooth will the o-ring be enough for a good reliable seal?

Installed one this year and only used the factory seal, no leaks

Speakrdude

Ensign
I was about to ask almost the same question. The (real) Service manual says to put 2-4-C on the gasket. Was going to ask if anyone actually does that.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cool, sounds good! Thanks guys for the quick responses. I have heard of using bellows adhesive to get the o-ring to stick and stay in place in the groove which would help make installation easier. I also like the idea of lubricating the seal somewhat too. I have special purpose o-ring silicone grease, I'll likely use that as well. Thanks!