Gimbal Bearing Tools

bobterisch

Seaman Apprentice
Happy new year everyone,
I would like to make my own gimbal bearing puller and installation tools. I wont have the drive off till spring so does anyone have dimensions for the bearing installation tool and also what is the ID of a BravoIII gimbal bearing?
Thanks!
Bob

alldodge

Staff member
Happy new year everyone,
I would like to make my own gimbal bearing puller and installation tools. I wont have the drive off till spring so does anyone have dimensions for the bearing installation tool and also what is the ID of a BravoIII gimbal bearing?
Thanks!
Bob

The diameter of the alignment tool is 1.375 which goes inside the bearing
If someone else doesn't provide the outer diameter, I'll make it to the shop and measure one later. If you go and buy the bearing you could measure and make a tool

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
To use the plate on a GEN II a additional hole has to be drilled for the oil transfer valve

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I use an old race on the end of a 2x4 with the 2x4 cut on the end to fit inside the race. Worked fine for installation,just make sure its all the way home so you don't have a problem installing the drive.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use an old race on the end of a 2x4 with the 2x4 cut on the end to fit inside the race. Worked fine for installation,just make sure its all the way home so you don't have a problem installing the drive.

This is what I was planning as well. If you have an old one why not beat on it to drive the new one in!?