Gimbal bearing install

bucknutjoe

Seaman
Mercruiser 3.0 serial 6338565. Sterndrive serial 6394656.

I have a new gimbal bearing to install. I've read the manual, but being a novice, it isn't specific enough for me. I see that I need to grease the area before installation, but what about the bearing itself? Does a new gimbal bearing need to be greased before installation, or do you simply line up the carrier grease hole and grease from the external fitting?

If there's a how-to on gimbal installation that I missed, please direct me. Otherwise, please help with any steps of this install you can. Thanks in advance!

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gimbal bearing install

Line up hole in carrier to grease fitting,... pump grease while turning the bearing by hand,.. you will feel it fill up, pump till grease is visible.

thumpar

Admiral

Do you have to tool to install it? Like shaw520 posted you line up the grease hole with the outside of the bearing.

bucknutjoe

Seaman

Thanks guys! I don't have a tool for installation. I thought you only needed a special tool for removing the gimbal bearing, not also one for installing.

Can anyone shed some light on why the manual seems to say that I need to remove the tolerance ring only to put it back on in the next step?

thumpar

Admiral

The only tool you need to remove is a puller. I used a slide hammer 3 jaw puller for mine. When installing you have to make sure you only touch the outside of the bearing or it will be toast. What I did is removed mine and went to a local shop to have the new one installed. Since I had the bellhousing off and old bearing out he only charged me for his bearing at $60. He also did it with only 1 hour notice.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer

Use a bearing/puller or slide hammer to get the old one out,..remove old bearing from varrirer by simply rotating bearing to line up with notches in carrier. then use old carrier and a block of wood to drive in new bearing/carrier

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

So...I take it this isnt a perma-lube gimbal bearing?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

A merc manual dosent say that, does it? What is the bearing number and where did you buy it?
To install one you can only hammer on the tolerance ring with something that completely supports the tolerance. Try doing it with a solid rod and you peen the ring so it dosent fully seat and you get U joints knocking away. Heres what i use.
IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

bucknutjoe

Seaman

Thanks guys. Got the gimbal bearing in. Now the alignment is my thorn. I'm starting a new thread.