Gimbal Bearing 1999 DP-SM 1.95

cwrhyne

Seaman
I'll have the out drive off of my 99 Crownline this weekend. I have owned the boat for 3 years. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and change the gimbal bearing while I'm in there? As far as I know it's not given me any problems. Should it be changed regularly? Like every so many hours or just when I notice something wrong? I'm a big believer in preventive maintenance and a Sierra bearing is only 45 dollars. Which brings me to my next question. Is Sierra brand OK or should I use Volvo? The part number for the sierra is 18-2100. I can't seem to find a non greasable bearing. Also when I install should I use EP grease or 2-4-c like on my props?
I know I have a lot of questions but I'm a newbie and I like to research and ask a lot of questions and watch enough videos so I can do the job once and do it right. I'd hate to have to pull the outdrive again and fix something because I didn't ask enough questions. I have read through the stickies and I have a seloc repair manual which I'm finding out isn't that great. So I'd like to pick the brain of the Volvo experts.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

alldodge

Staff member
My 95 Rinker still has the original gimbal bearing and no issues. Put your fingers on it and rotate, if its smooth leave it, if any roughness, change it

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
My 95 Rinker still has the original gimbal bearing and no issues. Put your fingers on it and rotate, if its smooth leave it, if any roughness, change it
Agree.

Don’t use 2-4C unless it’s more then 20 years old, it now has Teflon in it that can cause the rollers to “skate” instead of roll.

cwrhyne

Seaman
Awesome. 2 4 C for the props and Extreme pressure marine grease for the bearing.