Getting your turn on

Sledryder

Recruit
I'm thinking about adding hydrualic steering to my 16 SS . I know it's costly and over-kill , but can't deal with the cable binding or needing to be replaced again. Anyone installed one or have an opinion either way.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: Getting your turn on

I'm guessing you are referring to the mechanical steering? I upgraded my Jet for about $200. There was less play or looseness but I didn't mind the cables either. There may me used ones available too, check Craigslist

Sledryder

Recruit

I was looking at the Baystar set-up. Most my time on the water is trolling with the Johnson if it's windy or the Minn-Kota with auto pilot when it's calm. The cable gets a good workout

barato2

Commander

the difference in $ between mechanical and hydraulic steering would buy you a good outboard. not sure if any 16' boat is worth the $. the only reason i'd add hydraulic is if iwere also planning on adding autopilot, since this is much easier with hydraulic.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

my new uflex cable steering is effortless for the most part, very smooth, little play (even after breaking it in for 2 seasons).

I rented a 16ft boat with hydraulic steering years ago in Yellowstone, it was nice but seeing how much the setup costs... it's not for me.

64osby

Admiral

On a 16' a NFB setup would a great. A new one should last 20 years or so.