Getting screwed over on boat deals

Expidia

Commander
Re: Getting screwed over on boat deals

If you are saving 10k why not jump on a shuttle plane and go out and see it.
Set up a time for a local boat mechanic to meet you at the water test site.

The cost of a cheap motel and the plane is not going to cost that much for a savings of 10k. You could have a transporter bring it back for you.

If this guy is willing to drive 11 hours, it's really 22 hours round trip for him to go home again. I don't buy the girlfriend story. I don't doubt that he's desperate. I think he's stalling because he has someone else locally interested.

Boat is only a few years old so I wouldn't be as concerned about the integrity of the boat. I would be more concerned that it could have sunk or has had a major motor problem. Or it could be stolen too!

What kind of seller would drag his boat out to see you 11 hours away and then have you back out of the deal. If the price is that good all he has to do is list it on Craigslist in his area and it would sell quickly for that price.

Not trying to burst your ballon but just be careful. There is a sucker born every minute and there is always someone around to take one's money away.

Does he have a Nigerian accent :D

I'm looking for a 2nd boat and I live in NY, but I know I'll have to drive out to the great lakes to find the particular model I'm looking for at a good price. But I'd be on a plane in a heartbeat rather than lose a deal that I've been waiting a year to find.

Last year boats were starting to sell off cheap because of $5 gas at the marina's. This year it's going to be even better if your a buyer because no one can get credit. A boat is the last thing a banks going to lend money on in this economic climate. Lots of jobs lost and home equity loans dried up fast.

So if this one does not work out for you for some reason, there will be a lot of other oppportunities over the next few months. Lose one's job and the boats going first in order to feed the family and pay the bills. There will be outstanding deals around, especially if you are willing to drive or fly out to find a better deal out of your local area.

Just my 2 cents . . . good luck (and report back to us on how you made out).

reelfishin

Captain

Some people don't see an 11 hour trip as being far. I had a boat trailer listed on Craigslist, a used, 3500lb roller trailer, all original, could use tires, new lights, fair condition. I had a guy drive from Kansas last week to come buy it. I listed it for $900, its nothing special, there's dozens of others just like it listed. I got it as a by product of a boat deal and it was way too heavy for the boat that was on it. I got a hundred emails, 50 tire kickers in 2 days and then an email for my exact address and a contact number since he had to drive a two days to get here. I emailed the info, some extra pics and figured it was either a scam or the guy had no idea where I was.
I got a call two days later asking for directions from Baltimore to my location in NJ. Two hours later, he paid cash, gave me my asking price and was on his way. I asked if he was also buying a boat in the area and if that was why he drove so far to get a trailer, he said he was buying a boat but he was headed to Wisconsin to get it after he got home.

The cash was real, he emailed me two days later saying that the trailer was fine and my concerns about the old tires were unfounded and that they were fine all the way back. He sent me pics of the trailer with his boat on it.

I've gone as far as Texas to buy a truck, to Louisiana to buy a car, to Florida for a few boats and all over the north East for all sorts of things. There are some things I tend to look farther inland for, boats and trailers are one of them. NJ tends to have bad salt rust. It's rare to find a nice used boat or trailer here without saltwater damage. The air alone gives things a weathered patina you don't see inland a few hundred miles.

If the guy selling that boat is looking at a foreclosure or is out of work, there's no telling what he's willing to do to make a sale. If you do meet him, you may find yourself in one hell of a bargaining position after he's driven 11 hours.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

If this guy is willing to drive 11 hours, it's really 22 hours round trip for him to go home again. I don't buy the girlfriend story. I don't doubt that he's desperate. I think he's stalling because he has someone else locally interested.

Boat is only a few years old so I wouldn't be as concerned about the integrity of the boat. I would be more concerned that it could have sunk or has had a major motor problem. Or it could be stolen too!
ast thing a banks going to lend money on in this economic climate. Lots of jobs lost and home equity loans dried up fast.

I'd like to believe that most people are honest. I have no reason to doubt the guy. From our talk he sounds like a straight shooter. Why else would we be meeting where we're meeting? It's not a large metro.

I checked the DMV and he is the owner and title was issued to him. So that's good. How can you tell if a boat has sunk? Either way, that's why I'm paying to have the motor/outdrive check by a marine mechanic.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you are really starting to over think this. it is suppose to be a pleasure.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

Some people don't see an 11 hour trip as being far. I had a boat trailer listed on Craigslist, a used, 3500lb roller trailer, all original, could use tires, new lights, fair condition. I had a guy drive from Kansas last week to come buy it. I listed it for $900, its nothing special, there's dozens of others just like it listed. I got it as a by product of a boat deal and it was way too heavy for the boat that was on it. I got a hundred emails, 50 tire kickers in 2 days and then an email for my exact address and a contact number since he had to drive a two days to get here. I emailed the info, some extra pics and figured it was either a scam or the guy had no idea where I was.
I got a call two days later asking for directions from Baltimore to my location in NJ. Two hours later, he paid cash, gave me my asking price and was on his way. I asked if he was also buying a boat in the area and if that was why he drove so far to get a trailer, he said he was buying a boat but he was headed to Wisconsin to get it after he got home.

The cash was real, he emailed me two days later saying that the trailer was fine and my concerns about the old tires were unfounded and that they were fine all the way back. He sent me pics of the trailer with his boat on it.

I've gone as far as Texas to buy a truck, to Louisiana to buy a car, to Florida for a few boats and all over the north East for all sorts of things. There are some things I tend to look farther inland for, boats and trailers are one of them. NJ tends to have bad salt rust. It's rare to find a nice used boat or trailer here without saltwater damage. The air alone gives things a weathered patina you don't see inland a few hundred miles.

If the guy selling that boat is looking at a foreclosure or is out of work, there's no telling what he's willing to do to make a sale. If you do meet him, you may find yourself in one hell of a bargaining position after he's driven 11 hours.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. He's in home contracting business and we all know how that kind of work is doing. He has alot of time on his hands and has alot of bills to pay. You do what you have to.