Getting screwed over on boat deals

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on my scenario. I'm traveling 4 hours to meet a seller this weekend. He's traveling 11 hours to meet me. Anyhow, we were suppose to meet yesterday but he canceled . Couldn't make it because he couldn't get the boat out where it was stored apparently. The boat was stored at a aquantanced large buisiness storage. Couldn't get a hold of the guy, apparently he was sick. This is how the story goes anyways. I spoke with the guy quite a bit and he seem to be fairly straightforward, though you can never know for sure. Guy talks alot. I'm trying to catch him in a lie. I told him that I'm getting a boat inspection, which he hadn't refuse. He's in a bad economy area and thus is desperate to sell it but we agree on a fixed amount which is about 10k below retail. However, I think it's a "fair" deal and not one of them too good to be true deal. I pass on those. But I'm wondering if the boat is a lemon, what's the possibility that the inspector would catch it? My biggest concern is a cracked engine block or bad outdrive. What do you guys think? Anyone have a good story to share about bad buys?

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Getting screwed over on boat deals

You're getting it checked over which is good, also make sure to check with the storage co and make sure there are no storage fee or lien issues with the boat. The storage story seems a bit odd that only one individual would be in position to access the boat.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

You're getting it checked over which is good, also make sure to check with the storage co and make sure there are no storage fee or lien issues with the boat. The storage story seems a bit odd that only one individual would be in position to access the boat.

It's not a storage company, closer to a "previous client/customer" he's paying to let it sit over during the winter. I'm just curious whether he can hide anything that's wrong with the boat "temporarily". So after a time or two out, the problem surfaces!

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

I think anything is possible but shouldn't the inspector be running the engine and perhaps even be looking for the whole rig to be put in the water somewhere? Test run? Just wondering, the guys here always take the customer and the boat to the river and go for a short run. Good Luck on it!

TC

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have never told us where you are or where you are meeting the guy. i have assumed all the while your inspector was going to take it for a ride. and hour run will usually show anything bad.

45Auto

Commander

I've checked out local boats for Iboats members before they commited to a long drive to possibly purchase the boat, as well as gone on check rides with them once they determined the boat was worth the drive. I know sevaral other of the regular posters have done the same thing. If there's anyone close to where the boat is it could possibly save about 30 hours of driving time if you have them check it out for you first .........

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

You are over analyzing every last detail about buying a boat. I'm not saying that is a problem. However, at some point you just need to pull the trigger and buy a boat. Stop looking for reasons to not buy any particular boat. Some of the things you have questioned are good. However, dealing with people and issues like this storage thing shouldn't keep you from buying a boat that is otherwise up to snuff.

CATransplant

Admiral

He's driving 11 hours to show you this boat? That's pretty remarkable, I think. From my point of view, that means one of two things: 1. He really needs to sell this boat and needs the money. OR 2. There's something really wrong going on here, and he doesn't even own the boat.

Given your hesistancy to break down and actually buy a boat, I'm surprised that you're driving four hours to meet a guy who's driving 11 hours. Aside from the inspection, which I hope you already have set up, are you going to put this boat on the water and try it out? I hope so.

Also, make sure the title and other ownership papers are in order, up to date, and that the person you're meeting is actually the owner of this boat, in case you decide to buy it. See his driver's license to make sure it matches the name on the title.

Frankly, I wouldn't drag a boat 11 hours on the chance of a sale. I can't imagine what would convince someone to do that, only to, perhaps, drag it back 11 hours to get it home.

Good luck with this.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

He's killing two birds with one stone by traveling 11hrs. He used to live in the area and we're meeting where his girl friend lives. 4 hour drive for me. The fact that he's driving 11 hours gives some assurance. The fact that he knows I'm getting an inspectioned and is still willing to drive 11hrs is a big plus. I hadn't thought about getting the marine mechanic to test ride the boat with me. I was going to meet the guy at the boat launch, inspect every square inch on that sucker, test ride ~1hr, then take it to the mechanic shop right after. I've made the appointment already. But now that I think about it, I'll have to get one of the mechanic on the test ride with me as well. This should load her down and see how she performs with additional weight.

I got the VIN to both trailer/boat, hull reg #, trailer plates. I called the state patrol and sheriff. They said they couldn't tell me whether the boat/trailer was stolen? I read on this board, that this was something to do. I would have to call the state DMV where the boat is register to confirm ownership. Have to do this today. He has the title to both items. We're getting a Bill of Sale notorized at my bank so they will need ID from both parties.

I know I'm over analyzing this boat purchase. For one thing, I read a couple thread on here about folks who bought a boat and got screwed over for this reason or another. I just don't want to be one of them statistics. Two, I'm giving this guy cash. If I screwed up somewhere, there's no "I want my money back", as I don't know where he lives. Three, this is alot of $ to let go easily.

We're meeting in Tri-Cities washington. If any iboaters wish to help a fellow member out, please PM me. Current schedule is this Saturday ~8:30-9am.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you have this well in hand. Your gonna be alright. Just get the mechanic to go with you. He's suppose to be the "expert". Good Luck ;)

TC

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What type of boat is this one? You've looked at few different models and I think you wanted to use it for fishing also, most of the models you asked about weren't that good for fishing.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

What type of boat is this one? You've looked at few different models and I think you wanted to use it for fishing also, most of the models you asked about weren't that good for fishing.

'05 21' Larson 208LXI. I have looked at a few. Fishing was my main goal but feel this one can pull off the fishing/family/pleasure craft. I will mainly use this for bass, crappie, perch, cats on lakes and columbia. Mostly anchored fishing. I hope to hit the pinks out in the sound this year as well. I won't be setting it up for silver/BM anytime soon if at all.

CATransplant

Admiral

OK, it sounds like you've set this up pretty well, and the explanation for the seller's 11-hour drive makes sense.

You don't really have to have the mechanic along for the test ride. You'll be able to tell how easily it starts and how it performs on the water in the hour. Let the seller drive the boat. Observe everything. Try all the things on the boat and make sure they all work.

Walk every inch of the deck, looking for soft spots. Push things that shouldn't move and see if they move.

Pay close attention during the launch and retrieve, especially to how deep the trailer is in the water for both. Make notes for yourself about this. Probably the guy knows how to launch and retrieve it optimally.

Then, take it to the mechanic, and let him do his stuff.

If he gives the thing a good report, then make the deal, after making sure it will hook up to your tow vehicle properly and connect to your electrical plug with all lights, brakes, and whatever working properly. Get everything signed in the right place, after reading the title carefully and making sure he signs on the right lines. A little study of the papers will show you where the right place is.

Tow your new boat home, if you decide to take it. I guarantee you'll have second thoughts. Everyone always has second thoughts. Throw them away. Go launch the boat and drive it around the lake. Enjoy the wind in your face, the sound of the engine, and the feel of being on the water. Repeat as often as possible. Use it all season, as often as you can. Then, you'll know what you like and don't like about this boat. If the likes outweigh the dislikes, you've found a good boat. If it's the reverse, sell it and buy one that solves the dislikes, or most of them.

reelfishin

Captain

His driving the 11 hours to meet you don't really set off too many bells if he has another destination there, and you may not be the only potential buyer.
He may be thinking that some exposure in another area might sell the boat too. He may also just be telling you that story so as not to look too desperate for the cash. He might very well need the money that bad considering this economy. I've bought two boats for pennies on the dollar lately, both were situations where people were out of work and needed money to make a house or car payment. I just picked up a 25 HP Mercury outboard for $400 that's less than 3 months old because the guy needed to raise cash fast or loose his truck. I'm sure next month it will be his boat for cheap or what ever he feels he can sell for quick cash to stave off creditors.

I'd either want the mechanic or someone very knowledgeable along for the ride, but too many people along might also be a distraction.
For me, I wan't as much of my attention on the boat and how it runs and handles as possible. In more recent months, with the economy being the way it is, most boats are for sale for one of three reasons, either they need the money, there's something wrong with the boat, or they are or already have bought a smaller or cheaper boat. The number of boats for sale is 10 times the norm this year, and it's not even warm weather yet. I've seen some real deals, some that seem too good to be true are totally legit.

The part of the Sheriff not being able to check to see if the boat is stolen may just be a matter of privacy laws. They won't do it here, until you have already bought the boat or are trying to register it. And even then most come back as not having any record or history. I just bought a boat that required a State Police Inspection for purpose of obtaining a title since I bought the boat out of state. The boat, which I know was currently registered in a neighboring state came back as "Not in system, not on File" both here and the state which it was last registered in. I had him run my current boats registration and HIN which has been registered here for 5 years, and it too came back "Not in system, not on File".

As far as not knowing where the old owner lives, won't you be getting a title and bill of sale with his name and address?

I'd also check with your state to see what they require for an out of state boat purchase. In this state, they've all but made it impossible to buy a boat from a non title state, especially if the boat's registration isn't current. They won't even accept a signed title without a notarized bill of sale notarized by a third party, and even then they make you wait 30 days to get your title.
I've been going round and round with one for 2 months now in which my state won't accept another states DMV procedure and won't issue a title on a boat that came from a non title state. They also refused to transfer a title on another boat, bought right here in town since the last owner no longer lives at the address on the title, which was issued 30 years ago.

Having a notary present for the transaction will no doubt protect you from a situation such as him not owning the boat or something. It will provide you with a legal witness that he showed you valid proof of ownership and ID at the time of the transaction.
What I would do is make sure that he owns the boat outright, and that there's no bank lean on the boat.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

Reel,

Your right about the address. I will have it, I guess. As for the lien holder, he has the title to both the trailer and boat. There can't be any liens, can there?

I did speak with one of the DMV in my state about liens, tickets, etc issued to the previous owner. She said there would be no affect on me. I will double check with a different office just to make sure tomorrow.

75reinell

Seaman Apprentice

11 hours from the tri cities puts him somewhere in california doesn't it? I am in central oregon and that is about a 3 hour drive cruising. He could be klamath falls or medford as well I guess? Sounds like you have it covered though.

reelfishin

Captain

Reel,

Your right about the address. I will have it, I guess. As for the lien holder, he has the title to both the trailer and boat. There can't be any liens, can there?

I did speak with one of the DMV in my state about liens, tickets, etc issued to the previous owner. She said there would be no affect on me. I will double check with a different office just to make sure tomorrow.

In NJ the title will say lien satisfied when the boat has been paid for. The problem used to be that the owner would often apply for a lost title before the boat was paid for. It would give him a duplicate title in hand. I would think that in most states in this day and age, they would have better control over titles. Just look at the title closely, if it was at one time financed, it should say something to the effect of "Lien Satisfied" stamped on the title.
The bank would know right away, they should be more than familiar with dealing with vehicle titles for your area and surrounding states.

If the bank passes the title you should be coming home with a boat.
In all the deals I've done with boats and automobiles over the years, the worst problems I've had were in dealing with mis filled out titles, wrong info in the wrong box, (buyer signed the wrong spot), or just out of state transfers from non title to title states. A lot has to do with NJ, they seem to be a hassle no matter what you try to do.

Try to keep your mind on checking out the boat first, if the boat don't pan out, the issue of money and titles won't even be a concern.

JB25VIP

Seaman

Don't buy anything without a test drive........find a lake somewhere close to where you all are meeting. get out there on the lake run around in it a while, basically when i test drive boats i'm interested in buying, i get out there and drive the ever living ____ out of it. If everything holds true then it's probably mechanically sound. With your boat inspector man there he'll be able to see if the block or manifolds are cracked and leaking, check lower unit oil, etc. etc. and check all the picky things on the boat.

if the guy says no test drive, NO DEAL. you never know if the outdrive chatters or something like that without test driving it.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I bought mine after a legthy on line negotiation process! Lots of pictures, and they had it out for public runs the weekend before although we couldn't moke it to 60 miles to the lake on his side of town. I did a good look over based on what I've read here, started it up, operated all the accessories, checked oil/outdrive fluid looked in cubby holes and under seats. Knocked around on the floor as well as 2 weeks of research on the mfg and hull design. He had lots of receipts going back to when it was new. I was pretty confident it would work for me. He came to my side of town to transfer registartion etc...
Dont be afraid but always be wary!!!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Tell him that if he wants to sell you the boat, to bring it all the way to you. Then tell him that there will be a full inspection of the boat and, if you decide to buy it, the transfer of paperwork will occur before a notary and that you will have the money held in escrow, until you receive paperwork in your name from your state.

You'll never hear from him again and can then go about searching for a boat in your own area.