Getting RPM Alarm at full throttle

dealk

Recruit
I have a small 11.5’ Logic Tender boat. Looks like an inflatable, but is not. Recently re-powered it with a 2006 Mercury 4-stroke EFI long shaft on it. Had to store 150lbs extra weight forward to counter weight of the motor. When I reach plain I’m getting the RPM alarm as it exceeds the 6000 rpm max. Realize it is a lot of motor for the boat, but have seen some with 30hp outboards. The 4-stroke/EFI weight had to be counterbalanced. Anyway, my question is should I just keep a close watch on it or should I put on a higher pitch prop? Currently has a 9.5P prop and the Mercury charts shows an 11P alternative, but they are not cheap. Suggestions?

Papa-t

Seaman Apprentice

Mercury Marine Smartcraft and Guardian System Warning Horn Alarms​

Mercury Marine Warning System​

The outboard warning system incorporates a warning horn inside the boat. The warning horn may be located inside the remote control or connected to the ignition key switch.
smartcraft-horns
a – Horn inside remote control
b – Horn connected to ignition key switch

WARNING HORN SIGNALS​

When the key switch is turned to the “ON” position, the horn will turn on for a moment as a test to show the horn is working.
The warning horn will emit either a continuous beep or intermittent short beeps. This will alert the operator and help identify the following listed situations. For visual display of the specific engine functions and for additional engine data, refer to SmartCraft Product information, following.
Warning Horn
FunctionSoundDescription
Start UpOne BeepNormal System Test
Low Oil Reserve…Read MoreFour Beeps every 2 MinutesOil lever is low in the engine mounted oil reservoir. Refill the engine mounted oil reservoir along with the remote oil tank. Refer to Fuel & Oil.

Warning Horn
FunctionSoundDescription
Water in FuelFour Beeps every 2 MinutesWater in the water separating fuel filter reaches the full level. Water can be removed from the filter.
Refer to Maintenance – Fuel System for filter removal.
Cooling System ProblemContinuousEngine Guardian System is activated. Power limit will vary with level of overheat. Shift outboard into neutral and check for a steady stream of water coming out of the water pump indicator hole. If no water is coming out of the water pump indicator hole or flow is intermittent, stop engine and check water intake holes for obstruction. The Guardian System must be RESET before engine will operate at higher speeds. Moving throttle lever back to idle resets the system.
Oil Level is Critically LowContinuousEngine Guardian System is activated. Power will be limited. The oil level is critically low in the engine mounted oil reservoir. Refill the engine mounted oil reservoir along with the remote oil tank.
Oil Pump FailureContinuousEngine Guardian System is activated. Power will be limited. The warning horn is activated if the oil pump should ever stop functioning electrically. No lubricating oil is being supplied to the engine.

Warning Horn
FunctionSoundDescription
Engine OverspeedContinuousThe warning horn is activated any time engine speed exceeds the maximum allowable RPM. The system will limit the engine speed to within the allowable range. Engine overspeed indicates a condition that should be corrected. Overspeed could be caused by incorrect propeller pitch, engine height, trim angle, etc.
Sensor out of RangeContinuousEngine Guardian System is activated. Power will be limited.
Intermittent Beep
guardian - 4 stroke

ENGINE GUARDIAN SYSTEM​

The Engine Guardian System monitors the critical sensors on the engine for any early indications of problems. The system will respond to a problem by emitting a continuous beep and/or reducing engine power in order to provide engine protection.
If Guardian System has been activated, reduce throttle speed. The horn will turn off when throttle speed is within the allowable limit. Consult your dealer for assistance.

SMARTCRAFT PRODUCT​

A Mercury SmartCraft System instrument package can be purchased for this outboard. A few of the functions the instrument package will display are engine RPM, coolant temperature, battery voltage, fuel consumption and engine operating hours.
The SmartCraft Instrument package will also aid in Engine Guardian diagnostics. The SmartCraft Instrument package will display critical engine alarm data and potential problems.