Getting old

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Getting old

I can't see far or near without the specs. Been wearing them since fourth grade.....to far back to remember. Just this past week, herself and I went to the eye place with the granddaughter to get our checkups. New glasses for herself and me and the granddaughter got contacts. I also found out that I got a catarak (sp) started in my right eye. No big deal. Just something else to look forward to. :)

FLATHEAD

Captain

I know what you guys mean. I have to wear bifocals now too. At first it sucked but now I would rather wear them than my regular glasses.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bifocals here too... I am only 43 but need bifocals as I work on a computer all day and look down at computer code and notes, then look back up at the screen, etc...etc...<br /><br />Besides being over 40, here's another example of getting old. You go for a physical (haven't had one since I was in the military), and next thing you know the doctor does the ol' "rubber glove and KY jelly" thing. I mean, H-E-Y!!!!!!! Doc, what the $#&@# are you doing? :eek: Man, that is so nasty it's beyond words! :eek: <br /><br />Butch A.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't knock it, Butch. It may save your life.<br /><br />That awful exam is the primary means of detecting precancerous and cancerous growths in your prostate.<br /><br />If every male over 30 got that exam yearly there would be 90% reduction in deaths from prostate cancer.<br /><br />It really sux, I agree, but "been there, done that" and still around. :)

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know, JB, I know....<br /><br />My dad had prostate cancer about 10 years ago, and survived. Modern medical technology and treatment is amazing nowadays.<br /><br />But then, sadly, my dad was 80 yrs old when he passed away in 2002 from congestive heart failure. When he retired from IBM, he slowed down and didn't stay as active as he should. I am the baby of the family at 43, so I still work out and go jogging every few days too. ....Anything to try to stay young, healthy, and active! ;) <br /><br />Butch A.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, I hit the age of not bi-focals but went straight to tri-focals.<br />When I worked the road as a patrol officer I couldnt read the numbers or letters on a drivers license. I had to hand the license to the violator and ask them their date of birth etc. Darn 0's looked like 8's, a B looked like a 8, a G looked like a 6, etc.....<br /><br />I have half a head of hair, its getting gray all over. I constantly ache. My left hand fingers are constantly locking up on me. My lower back constantly hurts from wearing a 20 plus pound gun belt for 20 plus years. :( <br /><br />But damm, life is good. :p <br /><br />I bought a boat and fish more now than 30 years ago. :)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Lets see - - - I used to have two brain cells and - - Damn - - Now I can't find one of them!!

sloopy

Commander

Ryan T,<br /><br /> I have no clue, the older they get, the harder to understand they become. Thats why we just tune them out.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Ryan......just read and take LF's advise about eye exams :D <br /><br />I'm one to talk....I'm 37 and just had a real eye exam (not the kind from school). The one where they blow the air in your eye, look through the machine, then get with the doctor while he switches lenses and you read, which is clearer, 1 or 3, 3 or 2.<br /><br />then that machine that you look into a dark hole and it takes a picture....this is the one that can tell about cancer, disease, etc.<br /><br />luckily I came out with perfect vision....I was surprised, but from now on, it's exams every other year!

11 footer

Lieutenant

I've got one of those the last four years, KeltonKrew.<br /><br />A few years ago I failed the school test and had to go for glasses, I was nearsighted. I got the glasses but refused to wear them, after two years of not seeing the world 100% I got contac's, I wear then all the time now. No biggie they come in and out in a matter of seconds, now.<br /><br />I know a few people who have had that lazor eye thing done where they burn your eyeball and all that, no way ,not me. I enjoy seeing to much to trust someone with a lazor buring my eye,,,,what if they screw up?

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

It's a gamble...I know a lot of people that had it done, but it's scary.<br /><br />If my eyesight would not have been perfect, I would have had to have glasses....no way I could do contacts....My eyes are way too sensitive....If I see someone messin' with their eye, mine start watering! I guess I'm a whimp in that regards :D

Fly Rod

Commander

:) At my young age of 58 I wear glasses for distance!!! Noticed I needed them when I would spook deer 50 yards away, now I can once again see their ear twitch at 100yards with my glasses.<br /><br />Only problem now they fog on rainy days!!! ;) :cool:

gaugeguy

Captain

And on those cold November mornings on stand you have to modify your breathing so your breath doesn't fog them up either.<br /><br />And when you come inside after being outside in the cold all day they they fog instantly. I also notice after wearing glasses all day and I take them off, my eyes hurt for a couple seconds until they adjust to "normal" vision.