Getting old

tylerin

Commander
Well I had to get myself a pair of those granny glasses to read with. Very frustrating when I can tell the difference between a Widgeon and a Mallard from 100 yards but I can't see whats right in front of me. Eye tests I have better than 20-20. Oh well :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Getting old

Same here tylerin, I can see off in the distant good, but up close I need them cheaters for sure.<br /><br />Not getting old, getting more sophisticated. ;)

JB

There are some really good things about getting old(er).<br /><br />Major discounts on property taxes, hotel rooms (AARP), and other services for over 65 folks. Special menus with smaller portions and lower prices for seniors at many restaurants.<br /><br />I paid $40 for a "Golden Age Passport" to federal parks about 5 years ago, and have gotten free entry, not only for me but for my whole party, since. Must have saved me hundreds of bux.<br /><br />I can have female friends now. Men don't see me as a potential competitor and women don't see me as a potential threat.<br /><br />I am treated with more courtesy at most places of business.<br /><br />I can spoil heck out of my grandkids and great grandkid and let their parents deal with the consequences.<br /><br />I have had 2 flats while traveling and both times younger men (one a State Trooper) have stopped and insisted on changing them for me.<br /><br />Truly a Golden Age. :)

LadyFish

Admiral

The BIG 40 crept up on ya? <br /><br />Growing Older With Good Vision<br /><br />Good vision is a vital part of feeling our best. We rely on sight more than any other sense to enjoy life to the fullest. Vision changes naturally throughout our lives. For example, you may know that with age:<br /><br /> * Your eyes need more light to see;<br /> * It becomes harder to tell the difference between some colors, particularly shades of blue and green;<br /> * It becomes more difficult to focus on things that are near; and<br /> * Adjusting to glare and darkness can become more troublesome. <br /><br />Nearly everyone experiences these and other changes in their vision as they grow older. The good news is you can continue to lead an active and independent life even with these changes.<br /><br />Visit an eye doctor regularly<br /><br />One very important thing you can do is have your eyes checked regularly by an eye doctor—at least once every other year. Some people, especially those with diabetes, may need to go more often for proper care.<br /><br />Learn more about vision changes<br /><br />Another easy way to grow older with good vision is to learn about vision changes that occur as you age. By being well informed, you can learn what problems may develop with your vision, how those problems can be detected, and what steps you can take to save your sight. When you go in for an eye examination, talk to your doctor about your eyes and your vision. <br /><br />If you have questions concerning your vision or your childs vision this is a great website to visit. Prevent Blindness America

tylerin

Commander

Well unfortunately JB I'm in between youth and receiving all those benefits. I'm more than likely the guy who changed your tire, cause I'm not big on religion but I am into good carma. Few years to go to reap the benefits. I'm not ranting JB I enjoy life to its fullest :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by tylerin:<br />Well unfortunately JB I'm in between youth and receiving all those benefits. I'm more than likely the guy who changed your tire, cause I'm not big on religion but I am into good carma. Few years to go to reap the benefits. I'm not ranting JB I enjoy life to its fullest :)
Yea JB, he is just a young'n. :p

tylerin

Commander

Thanks for the info L/F I thought what my father said was coming true "You keep doing that boy you're gonna go blind" :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by tylerin:<br />Thanks for the info L/F I thought what my father said was coming true "You keep doing that boy you're gonna go blind" :D
POOF :D

LadyFish

Admiral

Truth is, most people when they reach their upper 30's early 40's discover their arms just aren't long enough to read the newspaper any more.<br /><br />Even though you pick up cheaters or readers at your local drug store or Wally World, you still need an eye exam. A full dialated eye exam if you are over 40 at least once every 2 years. If you are diabetic then more often even as often as 6 months. Diabetes is a prerequisite for a multitude of eye diseases such as diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma. Persons with a family history of glaucoma or those who have suffered an eye injury should also be checked more often. Even if you see an optomitrist instead of an opthalmologist be sure to ask for a diliated eye exam. Its the only way to know for sure if you have a problem. If you think you don't need to because you have always had 20/20 your wrong. You get an exam for your eye health as well as your vision.<br /><br />Children need to have a full exe examination before they start school also. Only 25% of the nation's daycares and preschools do vision screening even though in most states its required by the Department of Health. Check with your State Department of Health and see if vision and hearing screenings are required. Make sure you check with your child's daycare to see if they are conducting these screenings.

gaugeguy

Captain

I had to get glasses a couple years ago. I see fine up close, just lose detail on objects in the distance. I only wear them when I am driving at night in the rain and when I hunt. I can still pass the eye exam without them to get my drivers liscense though.<br /><br />My problem with getting older is not the vision loss but the memory loss. Alzheimers scares the daylights out of me. My gram had it and it is just horrible :(

LadyFish

Admiral

The passing line at the DMV is 20/40. However this is the failing line for vision tests at which point they would recommend you wear some form of vision correction.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br />The passing line at the DMV is 20/40. However this is the failing line for vision tests at which point they would recommend you wear some form of vision correction.
Bubble now bursted, thanks LF :(

18rabbit

Captain

Fwiw, the advent of ‘spectacles’ was responsible for the way all humanity would exist from generation to generation on this planet. Before they were available, at about 40-years the father would turn the business over to his son(s) dues to dad’s vision restrictions. Dad often still worked in the business, but in the background. It was a means of support/income for the next generation. After spectacles became available, dad can see past age 40 and keeps working the business, meanwhile the sons’ abilities are not needed and the income for the next generation is postponed.<br /><br />Tylerin - Don't get the specs!!! You are destroying the next generation!!! :D :D :D <br /><br />Ok – I have trifocals … did I destroy two generations? :)

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For a while there I thought my eyesight was getting better because I had to take off my regular glasses in order to read. <br />Now my eye doctor asks whether I want bifocals. :(

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br />Fwiw, the advent of ‘spectacles’ was responsible for the way all humanity would exist from generation to generation on this planet. Before they were available, at about 40-years the father would turn the business over to his son(s) dues to dad’s vision restrictions. Dad often still worked in the business, but in the background. It was a means of support/income for the next generation. After spectacles became available, dad can see past age 40 and keeps working the business, meanwhile the sons’ abilities are not needed and the income for the next generation is postponed.<br /><br />Tylerin - Don't get the specs!!! You are destroying the next generation!!! :D :D :D <br /><br />Ok – I have trifocals … did I destroy two generations? :)
I agree. If I lived 150 years ago, I wouldnt have made it past age 10. Run over by a cart or horse or something. Had 20/200 vision since 2nd grade. This would have truly been Darwin at work. Hopefully my wifes good vision will help with the kids.<br /><br />Be thankful you only need glasses to read. With no glasses/contacts the newspaper has to be 4 inches away for me to read it (no kidding :eek: ).<br /><br />Ken

JB

Yep.<br /><br />If I had been born 50 years earlier I would have been killed by my first heart attack, at 55.<br /><br />Let's don't even mention the second and third, or the prostate cancer and the diseases I had as a boy that might have killed me.<br /><br />Lemme see, now. That's four down and five to go. :)

bubbakat

Captain

Tylerin Don't worry about those reading glasses to much. Now the ancient one has been through a lot and still kicking.<br />Now me , Well let see now, lost my right eye in 1984 while arresting a perp in a hold up and it was my dominant eye.<br />Got out of law enforcement because I shoot off my right side. Well I love law work so I rejoined the law enforcement a few years latter.<br />I am a member of the swat team and can put 4 shots at 1000 yards you can cover with a half dollar.Run two miles a day and walk 1<br />We have to go to the academy once a year for two days to train and i always finish in the top twenty. Now keep in mind I am competing with guys in mid twenties and early thirties.<br />I can fire with my side arm a score of 96 on qualifying range.<br />My next birthday I will be 58<br />BTW I teach abused women self defense classes to.<br />I still have to wear glasses to do all this but I am happy. :D :D

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Glad to see such a good outlook bubbakat. I am nearsighted. I can still see decent without the glasses but DPS says I have to wear them so I do. I figure for me thats better than being farsighted because I love to do lots of upclose work and read.