getting old tires off old rims

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, y'all.<br /><br />My stepson found a set of wheels he wants for his VW. They are factory VW/Audi aluminum ones and he got them for nothing, but they still have the nasty dry-rotted tires on them. The weird thing is they seem to have fused to the rims. And I don't mean a little bit. I swear it seems like somebody superglued the %*#$! beads to the rim. I tried prying and cutting, but they're steel belted, so it's been ineffective with the equipment I've got lying around the house. <br /><br />Is there some kind of chemical or something that will help get the beads off the rims in a less than destructive (for the rims) manner?<br /><br />Thanks!

one more cast

Captain
Re: getting old tires off old rims

The Redneck way to break a tire bead is to lay the wheel on the ground and lay a 2 foot long or so piece of 2x6 on it so one end of the board is on the ground and the other end is as close to the rim as possible without touching the rim. (forming a ramp). Now just slowly drive your pickup truck up the ramp and it will push the bead off the rim. If it doesn't, leave the truck there and drive the bead down with a hammer and drift.DISCLAIMER: Remember this is the no cost redneck way for people that are not willing to pay the $6 to have the garage do it and could result in bodily injury and/or damage to the rim or p/u.

rwise

Captain

I used a bumper jack, so they stopped making them.<br />Can also be verry dangerus, hazardus, ect.

ehenry

Commander

Why not take them to the tire shop and let them break them down for ya? Probably won't cost more than 5 to 10 bucks.

brother chris

Commander

Alas, the answer is here.<br />Just take your truck(car or whatever) and back up over the old tires and voila, the rubber is off the rim.<br />Cheers,<br />Brother Chris.

Homerr

Commander

LOL...<br /><br />Redneck tire work...<br /><br />ROFL !<br /><br />I'm a DIY'er on just about everything... HOWEVER... Sometimes you just have to leave some things to the pros.<br /><br />Don't mess around here. You'll get yourself hurt quick.<br />You already have to put new tires on, so it's a good bet the tire shop wouldn't charge a dismount if you buy new ones from them.<br /><br /><br />H.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I remember a farmer that used brake fluid. He would get it into the tire thru the valve stem. He then would roll the tire around letting the fluid coat the inside of the tire and rim. He did this for a couple of days until the brake fluid would soften the rubber making it easier to break the bead. Just a thought that I remembered from long ago.<br /><br />Oh BTW expect a big mess when they are removed..YUK!

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another redneck method, worked with a '59 Ford pickup:<br />Lay tire flat on ground and push under a truck at the jack point. Take bottle jack and set on bead of tire, line up with jack point on truck. Commence jacking up the truck, putting weight of truck on tire bead...."pop."<br />Disclaimer: I never got hurt, but that don't mean you won't. :D

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

A little diesel fuel and a match works wonders on those unwanted tires<br />> :)

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guys,<br /><br />Sorry was away for a little bit. Thanks for the ideas. <br /><br />We may just take them all in to the shop, but I always like to check with the folks on the forums here 'cause we've doubtless got thousands of years of combined experience with tinkerin, fixin, talkin, and hurtin. Might as well put some of it to use...even if it just saves some bruises (or $40 bucks or so ;) :D ). <br /><br />There're always some great creative ideas and anecdotes along with the answers to the questions that get asked here. I may just try redneck removal method #1...guess I'll look at 'em one more time. Thanks again, y'all.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Luna Sea,<br /><br />I use the starter fluid method of seating a bead on my ATV tires. It's great when you pop the bead in the middle of nowhere. Just be careful.

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was at a tire shop a few years back and saw the end result from somebodys attempt to cut their tires off. The inner and outer beads were still attached to each of the four wheels, but the tread and most of the sidewalls were removed. I don't believe the shop owner charged him any less! I'm sure that it made things more difficult than they should have been.

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Starter fluid for seating beads, you got to be kidding. I've been to 3 county fairs, a axel greasing contest and 2 goat ropings. Ain't never seen nor heard of that. LOL<br />Ray