getting hit in the pride hurts worse than funnybone!

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice
I take a great deal of pride in my solo launching/retrieving abilities, usually being able to launch, park the truck, and pull away from the dock in 3/4 minutes. Every once in a while though I get humbled a bit! (deservedly so!) Last time I went out to a ramp I'm unfamiliar with and it was a busy day. Fear not, I'm getting ready to impress everyone behind me with how quickly I can get this boat wet, right? Not so much. I back the trailer according to plan, but when the fenders are at the waterline, the boat hasn't moved. Assuming that the ramp is not as steep as I am used to I back up a little more until my trucks exhaust pipe is gurgling under water! (i know, I know. and thank god for 4x4). Now I'm really frustrated and wade into the water and start pushing the bow with all my might and nothing. I get back out and try hauling on the line from the dock, still nothing. I know I can't back in any further and I'm seeing the people next to me launching a much larger boat with no problem. By now I am extremely embarrassed and frustrated and back into the water I go to push again. That's when I noticed I had never released the bow strap or safety chain. Well, at least the plug was in!

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: getting hit in the pride hurts worse than funnybone!

Knew where this one was headed five lines in. Not that I've ever been there.:rolleyes:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Betchya that wont happen again, or, it will be a looooong time b/4 it does.....:)

Bill Kilgore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Were you able to pull off the "yeah, I intended on doing that" reaction once you discovered the "slight oversight"?

TMoNeE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought it was going to be stern straps, oh well it just brushes up your checklist for next time :)

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Well, it's better than releasing the strap & chain too early and have your boat sitting on the ramp :D

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice

all true and valid points, and yes, I completely tried to play it off!! Just testing the safety chain folks! What, you don't do that??? Lol

Bill Kilgore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes, I completely tried to play it off!! Just testing the safety chain folks! What, you don't do that??? Lol

That is outstanding!

No chance of anyone trying to revoke your man card.

Carry on.