Getting a new DD

eeboater

Commander
So, I'm coming up on the time where I have to replace my 97 Grand Cherokee and buy something new. I am faced witha dilemma. I now own a house so I definetly need to buy either an SUV or a Truck. But which one should I go with. Here are the factors in my situation that need to be considered. If you were in my shoes what would you get?<br /><br />
  • <br />
  • Need to haul stuff (because of house)<br />
  • Need room for my 130 LB St. Bernard<br />
  • Will be buying a boat in the next 2 years, so I need towing capacity<br />
  • I would like to be able to haul my dog INSIDE<br />
  • I hate SUT's with a passion (Ford Sport-Trac types)<br />
  • Would like something with a comfortable ride and roomy enough for 4 people to ride in<br />
<br /><br />So what would you guys go with. I LOVE my Grand Cherokee. It has never let me down. So I can either purchase another one and continue to be happy, or I can upgrade to something the new Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab.<br /><br />Which one would you guys opt for?<br /><br />THIS:<br /><br />
enlarge_5.jpg
<br /><br /><br />OR THIS:<br /><br /> <br />
enlarge_7.jpg
<br /><br /><br />Sean

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Getting a new DD

Sean, I have and do own Jeeps and they are hard to beat. With the new Jeeps coming out with the Hemi engines makes it tough, but I could not see hauling lumber around in one.<br />I too like trucks for doing my hauling and towing my boat/s.<br /><br />That's why I bought this.<br />
d%26l.jpg
<br />I really like it and the Hemi does pretty good on gas mileage.

rogerwa

Commander

You've got tons of options. You will have to refine your requirments.<br /><br />The Durango may be a good choice if you like dodges. And it comes with the Hemi. Other than that there are tons of choices from the mid sized SUVs to four door full size pickups or even 4 door compact pickups.<br /><br />I would frankly like a full sized 4 door pickup like an F150 but needed the seating so I went with a Suburban..

KaGee

Admiral

HEMI!<br />
7_2_127.gif
<br />Vrrrrooooommmmm!!<br /><br />Hey hoser....thought you were coming over to the auto show??

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

too personal of a decision for me to give you any advice ..I've had a few Excusions, Expedition, and F-250 quad-cabs. Of the three, the quad-cab P/U was/is most practical then the Excursion then, Expedition.<br /><br />Thats me with my life style anyways.

Bondo

Staff member

I have to Agree that a Quad-Cab Might be Your Best Option...... I've got a F-250 Powerstroke, King-Cab... And Love It........<br /><br />But,<br />Another option would be to get the Jeep of your choice,+ Buy a Trailer to Haul Things........

ndemge

Commander

Personally, I would go with something with a LOT of interior room, and a trailer.<br /><br />How often do you need to haul plywood or 12' boards? under $1k you can get a nice flatbed trailer.<br /><br />Then the rest of the time you've got room for everyone when your pulling the boat.<br /><br />Iside storage is nice for when you need to move something and actually keep it dry.<br /><br />I'm a big fan of Vans myself.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You need to decide if you want a pickup or a SUV. I choose a pickup cause I have dirt bikes and I dont want to have to hook up a trailer everytime.<br /><br />I choose the 4dr Chevy Colorado, but max towing is only 4000 lbs. I can borrow my dads truck any time, no problem for me.<br /><br />I get 20.5 MPG on work commute and 23 MPG on highway.<br /><br />Nissan and Toyota have good midsize truck as well.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

With the new quad cab trucks like my Dodge, there is plenty of room in them for 5 to ride with comfort.<br />No need for an extra trailer.<br /><br />The last time I checked the hemi was getting 20.2 MPG so I can't complain there.<br />Have not checked it out on the open highway yet, just got a little over 1000 mile on it. :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Your 97 is just getting broke in, keep it. :) <br /><br />I too would suggest a trailer for your large hauling jobs.<br />I picked up a 4.2' x 8.2' tilt flatbed with a long tongue, 20 years ago. Cost ? $450. It was getting too hard to load the heavy stuff in the truck. It also saves the interior of truck or suv from a lot of wear and tear. <br /><br />It has been used to haul everything from birdcages to Harleys, and lawnmowers to boats. You can pick up a dandy of a trailer at Toms Trailers out in Menomonee Falls. It will outlast the tow vehicle. <br /><br />If you must replace the Cherokee, I would get another one.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I just drove a new Grand Cherokee 4wd, and I dont know what engine was in it, but it was so slow. Terrible on gas too. You cant drive that thing in Houston traffic.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> I just drove a new Grand Cherokee 4wd, and I dont know what engine was in it, but it was so slow. Terrible on gas too. You cant drive that thing in Houston traffic.<br /><br />Ken
Hey Ken, if it had the Hemi in you would have known the minute it started. No other sound like it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I personally guarantee it was no hemi. I would have loved the hemi.<br /><br />I just couldnt believe they could produce something that underpowered, on some hills you couldnt even maintain 65 MPH with the pedal to the floor.<br /><br />Ken

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by KaGee:<br />Hey hoser....thought you were coming over to the auto show??
Hoser? you talking to me?! Thems is fightin words... HAHA Just kidding :D If you ARE talking to me, yep, I did go to the Detroit Auto show. It was plain and simply the BEST SHOW EVER. The size of the show was stunning!<br /><br />I took 140 pics in total, I'm working to post them somewhere, but the number of them is making it difficult.<br /><br /> <br />
Originally posted by KenImpZoom :<br />Nissan and Toyota have good midsize truck as well.
Funny you mention that. I have been doing research all morning. As far as Mid-sized trucks are concerned, the Tacoma and Frontier give you the most bang for your buck. The Tacoma's V6 has a considerable amt of power (more that all the rest of them, except for the Dakota's V8). Plus, MSRP on a Quad Cab 4x4 w/V6 is ~ 26 k. Very reasonable.<br /><br />Sean

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

eeboater..........<br /><br />I have found a full size van, with the tow package, suits my need's just swell. <br />I have owned 5 vans, since the early 70's. <br /><br />Right now I have three vans. My old 3/4 ton Dodge van, which I have had for 29 years. <br /><br />My second is mid-80's E-250 Ford XLT van,(Club Wagon), with the 460 cu.in. engine, Gear Vendors overdrive/gear splitter unit, tow package, front and rear air, etc. <br /><br />My third is a 2001 Dodge van conversion, with all the goodies, high top, roof rack/ladder, front and rear a/c, tow package, 360 cu.in. engine, 3/4 ton, tv, vcr, dvd player, etc. <br /><br />They are great for towing, spacious for hauling and passenger room, etc. We have had dogs for thirty years and the vans were ideal for taking them with us, as they had room to move around,etc.<br /><br />I use my Ford van the most. It is the long wheel base, but not the "maxi" and is an 8 passenger type now. It was a 12 passenger, but the frends we bought it from got rid of the large rear seat for storage on trips.<br /><br />The rear bench seats, (2, three pass. each), are removable in about one minute, for hauling, etc.<br />It has windows all the way around, so visability is excellent.<br /><br />I have towed my cuddy cabin from the SF Peninsula, to mainland Mexico, with out any problems. The security of having all our fishing gear and and diving stuff out of view, while fishing and diving on the Sea of Cortez, gave us peace of mind.<br /><br />You might consider a van for your needs as I did. I will never be without one again.<br /><br />I have an older Datsun pick up for dump runs and for hauling wood, etc. <br /><br />Good luck....... ..Bob in Calif...

tfjrc2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

eeboater:<br />Somebody up top mentioned vans. If you even go there, check out the GMC Safari / Chev Astro.<br />Some plusses and minuses in anything you choose, but we have been happy with ours.<br />AWD for the snow and 6000lb tow capacity. Truck frame, much lower cost than minivan or pick-up. Been built forever, so no recalls. v-6 that won't die, etc.

aspeck

Staff member

I sure do like the Envoy. And now with the retractable roof and the middle window that goes up and down, you have the best of truck and SUV.<br /><br />Like the idea of the Trailer for bigger things to haul.<br /><br />Whatever you decide - make sure you enjoy it, cause you is the one that will be paying for it, and you will have to live with it!

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Boy, was I mislead by this topic!<br /><br />When I read 'Getting a new DD' I thought the thread would involve silicone & surgery ...

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

love my grand cherokee,and the quad cab dakoda, just wish the dakoda had more muscle to tow. the bed is short so i have a extender under a landau cover. wife love it. jeep is mine. u don'<br />t mention the family other than the dog, so the jeep, of the fold up rear seats in a quad can be nice, except with teenage girls. and a dog.