Genmar by Zodiac rib

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone heard of a Genmar by Zodiac Rib? Boat was made in France and looks similiar to a Zoom or Yachtline Zodiac. Only rated for a 25hp which I think is light for a 12' (3.6m) Rib.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Genmar by Zodiac rib

never heard of it, but 25hp is the general hp rating for that size rib ....

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What would happen if you put a 40C on it? Weight wouldn't be a problem, but could it handle the extra power?

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm guessing Genmar contracted with Zodiac for the US market. This one is a 2003 model, and is still sitting at the dealer so demand not great.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I'm guessing Genmar contracted with Zodiac for the US market. This one is a 2003 model, and is still sitting at the dealer so demand not great.

Genmar is a America Holding Company that bought the Zodiac Brand name. If there is a label that says "Made in France" it is a older model, from what I understand they are now producing the "Genmar by Zodiac" in China. :(

Here is a little corporate BLA BLA ...

Thermobonded seams: Thermobonding is a Zodiac? exclusive robotised hot assembly technique for fabric. Much stronger than hand-glued welds, thermobonded seams are air-tight and virtually indestructible.

Traditional wooden floor: The interlocked traditional wooden floor and inflatable keel improves performance and extra buoyancy.

Polyester hull: The lightweight RIMTEC polyester hull is very stable and offers great performance.

Removable inflatable floor: Once inflated, thousands of polyester cross-stitches hold it in place, producing the same rigidity of a traditional floor but lighter and more comfortable.

... and here is their line up ...

GENMAR GM 126 OD

Length 9'4"
Beam 4'11"
Compartments 2+1
Buoyancy tube diameter 16"
Max. Payload 815 lbs
Folded dimensions 37"x28"x10"
Max. Horsepower 8.0
Weight 66.0 lbs

GENMAR GM 110 HP

Length 10'11"
Beam 4'11"
Compartments 3+1+1
Max. Payload 1,102 lbs
Folded dimensions 39"x10"x12"
Max. Horsepower 10.0
Weight 66.0 lbs

GENMAR GM 102 RIB

Length 10'2"
Beam 4'11"
Compartments 2
Max. Payload 881 lbs
Max. Horsepower 10.0
Weight 91.0 lbs

GENMAR GM112RIB

Length 11'2"
Beam 5'7"
Compartments 3
Buoyancy tube diameter 18"
Max. Payload 1,212 lbs
Max. Horsepower 25.0
Weight 167.0 lbs

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks ST This must be a 112 Rib although the transom plate says 12 ft. (I could be mistaken) Very light not much heavier than a SIB. My thoughts are the RIB hull would be a better ride than a SIB. Put a "light" 40 on it and the thing would fly. But would the 40 be too much? Probably just dreaming.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Thanks ST This must be a 112 Rib although the transom plate says 12 ft. (I could be mistaken) Very light not much heavier than a SIB. My thoughts are the RIB hull would be a better ride than a SIB. Put a "light" 40 on it and the thing would fly. But would the 40 be too much? Probably just dreaming.

I don't want to get into the “do I over power or not”, debate in this forum.

If you are racing it, and I am a speed freak, you have to consider that to be another world than normal boaters live in. You, as a racer, expect to do regular repairs on your boat, (weekly???) to prepare for the next race. This is not what normal boaters are likely to do. If it was my boat, I got it REALLY CHEAP, and I had a 40hp, I might try it ONCE with the bigger motor. :rolleyes:

That said, you will also decrees the life span of the boat by years if you over power it, and open yourself up for a lawsuit if you are in a accident.

If you will use this boat in public waters in the States, I would not recommend putting a 40hp on it.

It is a light weight RIB, and with a 25hp motor you may not catch deejaycee, but it will be fast enough to have a lot of fun, and you will still have a 3 year warranty to fall back on, if it falls apart.

How much do they want for it?

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ST, I'm not a racer, like performance, but not a speed freak. As you know, I've got an Avon with a small 40 on it now. Great boat, but beats you to death in chop. What I'd really like is a cat hull like Prairie Tuber's but not willing to pay the money. Saw this on the net, close by, brand new, good price, and started to wonder. Would probably handle better in chop and is still portable. Whats harder on the boat- a 200lb 25hp or a 130lb 40? Overpowered like that would rarely go beyond 1/2 to 2/3rd power. Agree, shouldn't encourage people to be reckless but also know that transom plates don't always mean much. Again just thinking.

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ST Missed the last question. They are asking $2500, but have also had it for 3-4 years, end of season, slow market etc. so might be able to get it for considerably less.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

ST, I'm not a racer, like performance, but not a speed freak. As you know, I've got an Avon with a small 40 on it now. Great boat, but beats you to death in chop. What I'd really like is a cat hull like Prairie Tuber's but not willing to pay the money. Saw this on the net, close by, brand new, good price, and started to wonder. Would probably handle better in chop and is still portable. Whats harder on the boat- a 200lb 25hp or a 130lb 40? Overpowered like that would rarely go beyond 1/2 to 2/3rd power. Agree, shouldn't encourage people to be reckless but also know that transom plates don't always mean much. Again just thinking.

Well :rolleyes:, if I had a 40hp already ...

What State are you in?

It is not illegal in all States to overpower, but from a “see you in court” stand point, you are going to lose, no matter where you are.

It's not just the weight, but the power also, that transfers the extra strain to transom & the connection points at the hull and the tubes. It WILL diminish the expected lifespan of the boat.

You will notice an improved ride in a RIB, and with the same power as in your present boat, a increase of speed. But you also have a increase in weight.

I might be tempted if I had the money laying around. Offer them $1800-2000 with a full warranty, and see what the say. Can't hurt to try.

How do you plan to transport it?

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ST the weight vs power is really the crux of the question. I know that some boat mfg's have reduced max HP ratings to accomodate the heavier 4 strokes. As for power-is a 40 at 2/3's power more strain than a 25 at full, or a 25 jumping waves more strain than a 40 flat out on glass? I wouldn't think so. Of course the temptation might be to run it at full all the time which would definately reduce the life.
Transport- maybe a small trailer and disassemble in the winter. Don't really know.
Again- I'm just toying with the idea probably won't go anywhere.
Thanks for input. Great pictures of your new ride!