Generic adhesive to repair PVC boat?

BonairII

Commander
Is there a generic PVC adhesive(at Home Depot/Lowe's) I can use to repair my Quicksilver(PVC) boat? I do not want to spend $30 for a very small tube of adhesive.

paulpost

Banned
Re: Generic adhesive to repair PVC boat?

Be very careful you know that you get what you pay for. Do not forget that the glue has to remain very flexible. For patching I wouldn't go with a Home Depot adhesive. I recommend Sta-bond, you can order from NRS or if you have an West marine store in your town you can order there and save the shipping. It's a 2 part adhesive formulated for inflatable very strong and flexible and not too expensive.
Paul

BonairII

Commander

The patched area is ugly (dried glue and uneven...also the patch overlaps a D-ring mount on lower bow area). How can I remove the existing patch/glue and start over?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Is there a generic PVC adhesive(at Home Depot/Lowe's) I can use to repair my Quicksilver(PVC) boat? I do not want to spend $30 for a very small tube of adhesive.

No. I like Stabond. I didn't know West sold Stabond as they only advertise PolyGuard. I don't like the PolyGuard...For absolutely no good reason:) Just keep in mind that anytime you glue a PVC boat it HAS to be done in climate controlled conditions as the the glue is hygroscopic.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The patched area is ugly (dried glue and uneven...also the patch overlaps a D-ring mount on lower bow area). How can I remove the existing patch/glue and start over?

You remove it with MEK and very light grinding....And from your posts I can tell you that this will not be as easy as you think it will.

paulpost

Banned

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/72179-stabond-adhesive.html this is the link for Sta bond from west marine and they order from NRS also that way I suggested to order from west and you save on shipping if you go to the store and pick it up . MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) can be found at ACE hardware and maybe Home Depot but be careful it is a very potent solvent don't go crazy with it .
Good luck
Paul

BonairII

Commander

I may just put a large patch over the existing patch. I'm ordering the Stabond tomorrow. I can deal with the leak til next week when the adhesive comes in. The leak is slow(takes a few hours to really notice the loss of pressure), so it shouldn't be a huge deal. I carry a high volume hand pump on the boat at all times, so I can firm up the boat at will.

paulpost

Banned

I don't know if this a good idea just a guts feeling, a patch on top of a leaking patch doesn't sound good. Why don't you take your time and clean and remove the old patch, by the time the adhesive comes you'll have a nice clean area and ready for a new patch.
Paul

BonairII

Commander

Not sure what adhesive(prob whatever he had handy) the prev owner used to patch it the first time...and have no idea what damage is under the patch.

Can I screw up with the MEK and burn a huge hole in the boat? I've never used the stuff.

paulpost

Banned

Not sure what adhesive(prob whatever he had handy) the prev owner used to patch it the first time...and have no idea what damage is under the patch.

Can I screw up with the MEK and burn a huge hole in the boat? I've never used the stuff.

Not really but you don't want to dissolve the upper layer of the material . Use it in small amounts do not pure directly use a lint free rug and rub on top of the old patch especially on the edges until it will loosen up. Go to NRS web page and you'll find instructions there on how to use and apply stabond to a new patch.
Paul

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

One way to remove whatever old parts need to be removed is ; get a thin/medium plain head screwdriver, damp it in mek, wet the border you want to unglue changing direction and working lightly it's way up, damp again and so on, once a small portion is removed, grab the lip with a plier, tear upward while working with Mek as described, once part is completely removed, clean fabric to start bonding. Could use a spatula with rounded corners as not to damage the fabric too. Takes it's time but works... Use Mek on well ventilated areas, it's a strong stuff and poisonous for your lungs.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You can melt your way into a bigger problem, poison yoursef and kill the cat: MEK needs to be respected. Small amounts at a time and do not over rub.

k-rok

Cadet

you know the stuff (contact me)

I guess by now you have already repaired the boat, but if not.... Use 5200, trust me it works. I used it twice on my RIB and it has held up better then any of the 4 patch kits ive tried to no avail.

I just deflate the boat enough so that no air isnt trying to get out the hole, then I add a small amount of 5200 to the rip and smooth it out with a plastic butter knife or spoon. I add a second coating of it after it dries for extra strength.

If you want to put a patch on it, rather then just 5200, pick up a swimming pool liner repair kit. use only the plastic material and not the glue, cut out a circle shaped patch that can cover the hole and coat it with a good amount of 5200, then applie. Let sit for a day or two before you re-inflate.

I have used it with or without the the patch and it works either way. Also, I have convinced a local boat house to use it for the same purpose and they are impressed beond believe at how much better it works then the patch kits on the market today.

Give it a try..

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Even if it works well, doesn't 5200 take like a week to cure?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It doesn't work...It may hold for awhile, most adhesives will. But, it will let go with little or no warning. Plus, once used, the material will be almost impossible to correctly repair due to absorption of the silicates and polymers in the 5200.