Generator

Bobobob

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was wondering if there is a generator for an RDSL-24L 1962 40hp Johnson and if so where I might find one?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Generator

Rob, The electric start version of that motor came with a small automotive-style generator, which was belt driven and bolted on the to block on the opposite side of the starter. It had an external voltage regulator (like early sixties cars), which mounted in the transom-mounted electrical box.

You may find one, if you look hard enough. I recommend you invest in a good marine starting battery, and charge it up once a month, instead.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, it was an optional accessory available for the electric start models. All 40 horsepower electric shift models had generators as standard equipment.

Bobobob

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, Mine is an electric start model manual shift, I only inquired about it because I will be running a livewell in my boat for a few derbys comming up and I just don't want to run the battery down when I'm out on the rivers and lakes. I have a fresh Canadian Tire Nautilus Battery with 1000 Amp crank. Would a Solar panel be better then trying to find a generator?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your boat is not large enough to house a solar panel large enough to provide any significant charge. The cost of a solar charger that would be big enough, even if you had room for it, would send your wallet into shock. It's not an option. Install a second deep cycle battery. It would operate a live for days.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The generator puts out 10 amps maximum. But it has to be running 2000 rpm before it puts out anything. Since maintaining a charge depends on what you are taking out of the battery versus what you are putting back in, it would depend on how much you run at about half throttle. Simple math says that 10 amps X 5 hours = 50 amp hours. How much does your livewell pump draw? However, anything you put back in is better than nothing.