General Purpose Tach

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice
I have the following engines:<br /><br />1978 Rude 55 HP 2 cyl<br />1980 Rude 70 HP 3 cyl<br />199? Force 90 HP 3 cyl<br /><br />I also have a couple boats to use them on. I only want to keep one boat/motor combo and would like to use a tach to test each and then be able to permanently install the tach on the boat I will keep. <br /><br />So, I ask, what type or brand of Tachometer can I use that will work on all three of the engines? Or must I use a different Tach for each each? Why?<br /><br />Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: General Purpose Tach

Any Bomby tach should work for all three engines. Like wise, a Tele-flex tach would also although I haven't had that much experience with them.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: General Purpose Tach

Dear Old One,<br /><br />Most new tachs have an adjustment on the back to match the tach to specific motors. Depending on the number of cylinders and poles in the alternator/generator the appropriate setting is selected by turning a screw or knob on the back. So one tach will work with those motors.<br /><br />Edit:<br /><br />Like DJ said, Tiny tach will work too, but it is a small digital rectangle shape. If you want a traditional round face tach with pointer, check out the Marine Mega Mall. I use the Teleflex Sportsman tach, it works well for me and is reasonably priced. I'm sure there are many others that will work for you.