General Outboard Motor question

Astro18

Seaman Apprentice
Here's my question. Yesterday I went to the lake with a buddy. He took his 16" champion with a 90hp Mercury (2000 model). A piece fell off and we are both wondering what the purpose of the piece is. On the lower unit, above the prop is a small "fin" that points downward. It fell off...whereabouse unknown. What is that little doo-hicky for anyway?

Ferrariiwish

Seaman
Re: General Outboard Motor question

As far as I know its to do with balance/steering of the boat..<br />your in the best place for the correct answer.<br />Just hang in there.

D

DJ

Astro,<br /><br />That piece is referred to as the: Trim Tab.<br /><br />It is ussed to balance out the natural tendency of the outboard to pull to one side due to prop. torque.<br /><br />You will notice a difference in the steering, at planing speeds.

OKCSOONERS

Cadet

Great post, I changed my water pump over the weekend and noticed the boat handling different. I was wondering what was going on. Is there a special way to adjust, or is it just a trial and error issue.

Stassson

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it's a try and eror method but on mine wich is a 175 V6. Froiom the rear os the motor looking forward mine is alittle to the left ... The fin part should be at the back of the motor with the flat part of the plate faceing forward. Buying a manual would help they have tons of information in them and for the price you cant go wrong.. Good luck and maybe look for some other lose parts on that motort before something big falls off Good luck Stas

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If the boat pulls to starboard, adjust tab in the same direction until steering is neutral. Yes, trial and error.

alcan

Commander

Because on Merc engines this trim tab also servs as a sacrifacical anode to protect other parts of the motor against corrosion, this part is a wear part. It should be replacrd from time to time. So once to try and err and find the correct setting for your rig mark the spot/setting. this way the next time you need to replace you tab you won't have to mess around. It's a good idea to carry a spare on board if you have room.