General Motor Maintenance?

tdhopkin

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 10, 2012
Messages
24
Hello,

I was wondering what general maintenance I should do to my 1991 30 HP Johnson motor to keep it running in optimal condition. The information model number is J30ELEIC.

I just want to be cautious with it, because as the old saying goes: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions!!
 

BonairII

Commander
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
2,727
Re: General Motor Maintenance?

Check your lower unit oil every 10 hours of use(IMO)

Check your plugs regularly(check condition of plugs for signs of running rich/lean/detonation etc)

Use a quality 2 stroke oil

Run your motor within the proper RPM range (prop your motor correctly)

If you have a service manual for your motor(if you don't....GET ONE), it will list scheduled maintenance items that are too numerous to list
 

tdhopkin

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 10, 2012
Messages
24
Re: General Motor Maintenance?

Okay thanks a lot! I do not have a manual at the moment but will definitely pick one up soon. I appreciate your help! :)
 
Top