General MAP sensor question

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, I have a fairly general map sensor question. The engine is a 2008 DF200, but that is not really relevant. My map sensor was showing 117 kpa pressure when I removed it in my hand. I tried blowing or sucking on it but that does not change the reading. After tapping it against the intake manifold it changes the reading with pressure. Approximately what readings should it be showing with the engine running or stopped? Also, would the 117kpa pressure reading while idling cause the engine to run bad and over fuel? Thanks🙂

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
motor not running it should match what your local weather station lists for that time
once running there should be more of a vaccum so it should change

Last edited:

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
At key on engine off it should read atmospheric pressure. 14.7 psi/29.92" Hg or so.

When the engine starts and idles it should be more or less 12" Hg.

As you open the throttle the manifold pressure should rise. Retard the throttle and it should lower.

17 kpa (16.9 psi) seems too high IMO. Ever. At idle, definitely too high.

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
At key on engine off it should read atmospheric pressure. 14.7 psi/29.92" Hg or so.

When the engine starts and idles it should be more or less 12" Hg.

As you open the throttle the manifold pressure should rise. Retard the throttle and it should lower.

17 kpa (16.9 psi) seems too high IMO. Ever. At idle, definitely too high.
Would that cause my flooding problem?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
It might. ECU thinks there is a lot of air in the intake manifold. Adds too much fuel trying to get the fuel/air ratio correct.