General Info on VP Engines (V8-350-CE-D)

tpenfield

Staff member
Greetings,

In my boat search, I am coming across more VP engines than Mercruiser. One in particular is as stated above a "V8-350-CE-D", which I am not 100% sure of what the suffixes "CE-D" signify. I have been looking for general information/description of the engine, but am finding mostly part lists. I believe the engine is the GM 6.0L, but not sure at this point. Any help pointing me to general descriptions would be appreciated. ( @Scott Danforth ) ???

Also the outdrives . . . "2.32 DPS-B1" . . . I assume 2.32 is the gear ratio, but not sure what the B1 signifies.

The VP website is not much help either . . . :rolleyes:

TIA (y)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I believe the 350, 380, and 430 are in the same family. It is an LS based motor with CATS. I am not sure if it is the 6.0 or 6.2

not sure the difference between the DPS-B and the DPS B1

ratio is 2.32:1

(I looked at volvopentastore.com)

tpenfield

Staff member
I believe the 350, 380, and 430 are in the same family. It is an LS based motor with CATS. I am not sure if it is the 6.0 or 6.2

not sure the difference between the DPS-B and the DPS B1

ratio is 2.32:1

(I looked at volvopentastore.com)

Yes, it looks like 350 is the 6.0 block and the 430 is the 6.2 block. I still have not found any detail on the suffixes. Once the I/O market has switched to CATS, it seems like VP has an advantage over the Merc products, since many of the Merc's don't include the exhaust in the closed cooling.

Nashville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings,

In my boat search, I am coming across more VP engines than Mercruiser. One in particular is as stated above a "V8-350-CE-D", which I am not 100% sure of what the suffixes "CE-D" signify. I have been looking for general information/description of the engine, but am finding mostly part lists. I believe the engine is the GM 6.0L, but not sure at this point. Any help pointing me to general descriptions would be appreciated. ( @Scott Danforth ) ???

Also the outdrives . . . "2.32 DPS-B1" . . . I assume 2.32 is the gear ratio, but not sure what the B1 signifies.

The VP website is not much help either . . . :rolleyes:

TIA (y)
C = Catalyzed
E = Electronic Vessel Control. You’ll want to know which version as features/benefits vary widely from initial iteration to current
D = Revision/Version
Edit: 350 is horsepower, not displacement

B = Duo Prop Drive with Helical Splines
1 = Revision/Version

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
C = Catalyzed
E = Electronic Vessel Control. You’ll want to know which version as features/benefits vary widely from initial iteration to current
D = Revision/Version
Edit: 350 is horsepower, not displacement

B = Duo Prop Drive with Helical Splines
1 = Revision/Version
Thanks, as that is helpful. Yes, the 350 is the HP. . . the displacement happens to be 6.0 on the "V8-350" engine.

This will be my first venture into an engine(s) with CAT exhaust . . . oh joy :rolleyes: :unsure: 🤪

Nashville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, as that is helpful. Yes, the 350 is the HP. . . the displacement happens to be 6.0 on the "V8-350" engine.

This will be my first venture into an engine(s) with CAT exhaust . . . oh joy :rolleyes: :unsure: 🤪
Correct, a 6.0L. Suggest asking probing/leading questions about how winterized and what oil has been used for oil changes. For example, of course you fogged it each Fall, correct? If the answer is yes, find out exactly which oil and research it. They’re not to be fogged. High soft metal oils foul the Cats. Suckers are expensive and no warranty coverage if damaged this way. Also suggest pulling the data file from the ECM to check histogram, alarm history, etc. Excellent motors, but they upend a few long standing norms that sometimes catch people inadvertently.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My brother and I took a nice ride in his 2020 Chapparal with the Merc 4.5 200 hp with cats, I tried to convince him to buy an outboard, but he wanted this boat, I have to admit that it runs great, is more powerful and refined than the old 4.3 by a long shot but for me....the only cats on any boat I own will be these (lol bird deterrents, they work great!)
angry cat bird be gone!.JPG

tpenfield

Staff member
There are a couple of the big Chaparrals on my short list . . . some have the VP and some have the Merc's. For CAT engines, I am liking either the Merc 377 or the VP 350/380 engines, as they can/do cool the exhaust manifolds as part of the closed cooling. It looks like the 8.2 Mercs are not set up for that.

alldodge

Staff member
Yep the 8.2 EC is raw water cooled
Then you get those dang popet valves