Gelcoat/Paint comes off to the touch

wgonfan

Recruit
please forgive me is this has been asked. I did search here and google but couldn't find an exact match.

My runabout is 30 years old and spent most of its life covered but the past two seasons it's sat exposed. Now with even the slightest touch the color of the boat will come of on to my hands or clothing. I can even see it coming off in the water. (the boat is white if you put you had on the hull you palm will also be white)

Is there any way to repair or seal this so it stops rubbing off?

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Compounding the gelcoat…. Then waxing the gelcoat will help restore the boat. I think you’re talking about oxidation of your 30 year old boat. there are many posts on the forum relating the “how to“ on this process.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
gel coat oxidizes

you need to yearly buff and wax the boat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Wooden boats require annual maintenance (painting).

Unfortunately, some people think fiberglass boats need no maintenance. In fact, they may be low maintenance, but annual waxing goes without saying.

wgonfan

Recruit
Thanks. I've owned the boat since the late 90s and always thought oxidation was just the black spots and rough surface didn't know it would present this way as well. and I've only buffed & waxed the boat MAYBE 3 times 🤪

Thanks again

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thanks. I've owned the boat since the late 90s and always thought oxidation was just the black spots and rough surface didn't know it would present this way as well. and I've only buffed & waxed the boat MAYBE 3 times 🤪

Thanks again
A few years ago I sold my 1984 boat. We owned it for 35 years. I waxed it every Fall, and usually once in between. It had NEVER been buffed since it didn't need it. When i sold it the hull looked like brand new.