Gelcoat or paint?

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to refinsh the entire surface of my boat this spring. I'd really like to paint it (easier) but everything I've read on here points me toward gelcoat as my boat sits in a lake all summer (only being pulled out once a month for cleaning). It sounds to me like most paints would blister during prolonged time in the water hence I'm leaning toward the gelcoat. And if I go with gelcoat is it recommended to be better to roll or spray (I have the equipment to do either). I've already found a site that sells all I need including gel coat in the original color so I dont know which way to go. All your input will be helpful. Thanks!!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gelcoat or paint?

I'm not sure which threads you read, but most say re-gel coating is is a ton of work and it is. Just use a paint designed for boats that will be in the water all season. If you want a better look, with custom colors above the water line and can't find them in a marine paint, then use an automotive paint. While the cost of the paint can be higher than gel coat, the total cost should be lower, the cost of sand paper can really add up.

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I realize that the gel coat is a lot of work - which is why I lean toward the oaint but I want it to last - not have to repaint in a couple of years cuz it came off! What do you recommend to be the best paint for below the waterline? Thanks

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Check out my project....I am in the process of gelcoating...I am very happy with the results so far...I have never painted or gelcoated before...so if I can do it...:cool:

Check out Merton's for fiberglass supplies etc (do a search..they are located in Springfield, MA).

-JMW

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I recommend a 2 part polyurethane paint, that is rated fro below the waterline use. Awlgrip is excellent, and is nearly as durable as gel coat. Actually all the mega-yachts are painted, since it looks better than gelcoat.

Do you think you will need antifouling paint? If so, you can paint the boat below the waterline with any epoxy primer, or sand the bottom a bit and apply the A-F paint. Now you can use a cheap one-part marine polyurethane paint on the topsides.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

swsidlo said:
I realize that the gel coat is a lot of work - which is why I lean toward the oaint but I want it to last - not have to repaint in a couple of years cuz it came off! What do you recommend to be the best paint for below the waterline? Thanks

There is no paint good for under the waterline during long stays m8 ( besides interprotecting then bottom painting )

I would Highly recomend Gel.

It really isnt hard and will save you money. not only in the application..but in repairs..

the only hard part is when you SPRAY not roll gel..you only have a very small pot life.

Prep your surface with 80g ( DA..soft pad or hand ) mask..tape..mix..spray..sand .. buff..

PS. what is the current surface of your work area ? paint or gel ?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The problem is, if he's doing the boat he has at the bottom of his post, an 18' with an I/O, it will be very difficult to sand the orange peel out of the bottom while on his back under the boat. If it was an O/B and he could turn it upside down, then maybe it would be worth it. He also said "refinish the entire surface of the boat this spring", which I assume means the deck also, if he goes with gel coat, I'm afraid he may not have it in the water by summer. So instead of using it with his family, he will be working on it alone.

Plus, if he uses a bottom paint, he may not need to pull it out of the water every month to clean it either.

Now, if he wants to restore the boat and have that original gel coat look, then re-gel coating is the way to go.

Although I normally recommend against re-gel coating, the last hull I did was a gel coat job, but it was a smaller lighter boat that could be flipped over easily and I had it done in a couple of days.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

erm..I did suggest the only way for low maintenance would be interprotect and BP..

are you really suggesting..would anyone here suggest that he "paint" the bottom ????

SW..is your bottom that bad m8 ? do you need to resurface it ? if so..would you or anyone else here want Paint ? that means primer..sand..spray underneath..

I would suggest that you DONT use paint and primers..Primers are hydroscopic.. no no for underwater paints

again..gel is not that hard..pressure pot it. and sand and buff ...

YD.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

However..I am still waiting on SW to respond as to what the current surface is..paint or gel..could make alot of difference on how I would approach this...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

YD

You're correct, the boat may not be in that bad of shape and may just need a little touch up and a good buffing.

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yacht Dr - the surface is original gel coat - no paint but has many small scrapes and scratches in it and thouroughly faded. I have buffed it out with 3M rubbing compound (aggressive cut) but didn't really help and besides way too many scratches. My thought on the process would be to gel coat the top and sides back to the original color (teal and white) but leave the very bottom alone and just AF paint that as no one sees that. The reason I would prefer gel coat over paint as the color on the side sits below the water line in the rear of the boat. (I'll see if I can attach a pic). Would you recommend rolling or spraying? Will I get orange peel no matter which way I go? Im not afraid of the work involved but want to do it right as this boat I shall keep for a while. Thanks

Attachments

• Jul11$19.JPG
    48 bytes · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Many times you need to sand areas that have faded badly to get down to fresh gel coat, you should try an area first before doing more work. Many times people are very surprised at how well it turns out.

If the color (teal) is below the water line, then you won't be happy in a couple of years (or possibly less) when it starts to blush. Colors are not recommended to be used below the water line on boats that stay in the water for a long periods of time, even on new boats, but builders do it because people like the look. When colors are used under water they tend to blush and look cloudy after a while, it doesn't always happen, but often enough to recommend against it. A respray under water tends hold up for less time than a mold surface does, so it may, or may not work.

Paint and gel coat finishes do look different, so if you like the gel coat look you need to use it. Paint will hold it's color and gloss much longer with far less work and is less likely to stain.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You didn't have the pic up and working when i just replied.

What part of the color is below the water line?

In this pic it looks like no refinish is needed, just a very good detailing. Many boats posted here have had finishes with zero gloss, many stains, pits and sctratches, but were made to look excellent with very little money and a buffer. One of them will most likely read this and share their results.

A closer pic may show more problems though.

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The back part of the teal sits in the water. You can see the previous bottom paint and it used to cover the side by the fender and go straight back. And possibly I could get the finish back to a somewhat decent state but I'm a picky son of a @#$%^ and having restored cars and other boats I like everything to be like new (or as close as possible!)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's a little different if you're looking for certain look and don't mind the time spent achieving it. If you do want the look of new gel coat, then that's the only way to do it.

There are things that can go wrong when re-gel coating though, especially on dark colors, so you may run into problems.

Spraying will be the way to do it.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

man oh boy..that looks in great shape..

The bottom teal from this pic looks allready bottom painted ?

as for the sides and bottom..you need to get some 3m super duty compound..put your buffer on end ( not flat ) your trying to not only rub the oxidation off..your actually "melting" the gel..thats rubbing..so press hard man. then follow up with some polish .

then your scratches..if there not too deep you can wet sand or DA those out up to 600-800 grit ( 1200 would be suggestive if your wet sanding )

yes spray will be the way to go NEVER roll your finish gel on..you will regret it.

If you have bottom paint on there and you want it off..just make sure you wear protective gear ( suit,resporator,goggles,gloves,head sock etc ) dont skimp on the gear m8..

YD

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do not get overly concerned about scratches on the bottom of the hull. Scratches actually float the hull higher on bubbles and you will get better top end performance with a "not smooth hull" then you will with a glass smooth hull. It is all a physics thing.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Bob_VT said:
Do not get overly concerned about scratches on the bottom of the hull. Scratches actually float the hull higher on bubbles and you will get better top end performance with a "not smooth hull" then you will with a glass smooth hull. It is all a physics thing.

I know what your talking about.. Aeration..I dissagree

Link http://www.stingrayboats.com/products/reviews/hb6-94.html

about 3/4 down page quote

"When the Stingray design team started to analyze the data, they found that the integral Z-plane strakes were delivering an undisturbed flow of water beneath the hull and to the propeller. What was happening was that the minuscule air bubbles and tiny vortices created by conventional vee-bottom strakes had disappeared. And, although some hull designers feel that aeration under the hull is an advantage in optimizing top-speed potential, Stingray was finding that cleaner, less disturbed water flow was actually more of a benefit. "

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bob_VT - if the scratch thing worked - wouldn't they make boats with lots of little grooves in the hulls for more speed?