Gelcoat filler

mrsaundep

Seaman
Hi,

I am attempting repairing minor scuffs, scratches, chips and crazing on a fibreglass Sealine 20' motor boat, around 20 years old. The Gelcoat finish colour is white. The surface beneath the white is red! There lies the problem.

I have ground out the chips, masked off with tape, filled with Plastic Padding Gelcoat filler, sanded down using wet n dry (very wet), starting with 600 down to 1200. The problem is that the existing white gel coat is very thin, and inevitably it gets touched with the wet n dry whilst sanding, and the red colour beneath soon starts to peek through.

Any ideas?

I have tried masking right up to the repair area but there is still traces of red appearing at the interface between the filler and the original gel coating.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gelcoat filler

Are you sure the white is gel? Sure sounds like paint over gel to me.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I can almost say for sure that you have gelcoat ( thin gel yes ).

The thing about them Sealines ( as well as other European area built boats ) is the restrictions.

You probably have a "hand rolled or brushed" hull and laminates ..

The gel can get "sloppy" at times and not coat as thick as needed ( again..boat to boat and applicator to applicator )..

The red you see might be a Tie coat..or a Fire retard coat ..I dont know for sure..but I have seen the "red" coats under the base gelcoat in other European builds for some reason..

Your gel is probably thin in that area ( from the build of the boat ).

If you try to Patch this with some gelPaste and then 600+ the repair..yes you might go "thin" around your repair..( Bulls-eye affect ).

Does this sounds like what your up against.... Need some pics of the repair area if this is correct..

If not..then Custom make Imron match and blend..

YD.

mrsaundep

Seaman

Hi again. Pics attached yacht doctor. Yes the bulls eye effect sounds about right. I do beleive the previous posters are right, its only paint!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Ok..just wondering ..

I dont see the link for pics..and how did you determine it was paint ?

YD.