Gelcoat cracking - new boat

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Gelcoat cracking - new boat

In the context of spider crack repair though, what does a "patch job" mean?
Does the patch job mean using uncured gel coat to fill in the cracks then sand the area smooth? As we can all imagine, this method will add no structural integrity to the area at all.

I think if we can define it, perhaps that will give Matt both knowledge and ammunition to press the factory for a proper repair or replacement.

Matt S

Seaman

I hear you guys trust me. But here's my $.02 I've learned in my short time on this earth. But first off, from the link above and other readings, I don't believe gel-coat cracking is ALWAYS a structural problem, though generally do come about from structure flex. It could be they've experienced some minor manufacturing flaws in the gelcoat alone. Someone could have fed the wrong mixture or not let it cure properly as well.

What I don't want to do is come flying out of the gates at them on this. Dealers always like the chance to make it right. They haven't even seen it yet and if they're not that concerned for something they ultimately will be responsible for then fine by me. Taking it somewhere else aside from the place that is still spending my money isn't an option, and so far this dealer has been very kind to me AFTER I gave them my money which is my service barometer.

Blowing up to a manufacturer while a dealer is trying to help you is not the right course in my opinion. The dealer will get instant follow up and we all know how stuff rolls down hill. "Why is this customer unhappy?" they'll ask. Dealers get kickbacks and incentives for happy customers. The dealer is going to get questioned and put in a stand-off mood with me if they haven't even had a chance to rectify it.

If it's NOT structural then it won't come back. Then I don't really care. If it is structurally unsafe and has a history I doubt they would say otherwise. I don't own things for only a couple years and hope to get resale. Toys, boats in particular, are not an investment. If anything I'd buy another boat from them down the road and trade this one in. Nobody knows the boat like the dealer. It is possible they HAVE seen alot of this. And it's also possible there's a TSB or whatever from the factory on how to fix it. If they have, firing off to the factory will shut the door and let them prepare. Due dilligence is alot in these arrangements. If the cracks come back, a happy dealer will much more likely take on my cause if I haven't shut the doors so quickly before they had a chance.

Lastly, if I were to get in this battle it's possible my boat will be frozen at a dealer. It's been a cold crappy winter (figures since I bought a boat) and I'd like to enjoy it by driving 800 miles to party with my family for the annual bash they do on a lake in California where I know it will be warm, pleasant and a blast with tons of friends and families and all their toys and my new one. I don't feel this issue is safety related. I figure it best to start this battle in 4 weeks right after my trip. Then have some time to shake it out before winterization. THEN have the winter to do battle as my boat would not be used anyway.

Customer service...is a two way street.

Oh, yes. So far as the proper repair I would like opinions. So far as my experience leads me, they should drill and chamfer the ends of the cracks to prevent spreading, chamfer or v-cut the cracks and lay gelcoat.

SmallNFast

Cadet

We've actually had a similar problem, but not with glastron. We had an 02 Moomba LSV (small wakeboarding boat) that we had for a year, and at the end of the season when we were washing underneath we found cracks in the gelcoat all over the hull. So we brought it to the dealer and they actually said they didn't want to try fixing it, they got Moomba to send us a brand new boat.

Well, next year the same thing happens. Again, (this is a very cooperative dealer) they got the boat replaced, this time giving us an option to upgrade, we just pay the difference in the two boats. So we ended up with an 04' Moomba Mobius XLV (LARGE wakeboarding boat) for about half what it would have been new (they reimbursed us the full price we paid for the lsv).

And yet again, the end of '05 we notice MORE gelcoat cracking...so they replaced the hull over the winter. Nothing since then. Bit weird. Normally we would have gone different dealer different brand but we really like how the boat rides, handles, and the huge wake it throws for boarding.

I hope your dealer is as helpful as ours was, and that your situation gets righted asap!

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Matt, it really sounds to me like you're approaching this methodically and sensibly. I think I would do the same were I in your situation - best of luck with it.

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

I would have the boat inspected before the repair. My father-in-law got a new boat replacement after his '95 Stratos' gel-coat cracked on the underside. it was only the 2nd time out when it occured. You could claim structural defect, and I honestly wouldn't settle for anything less UNLESS I knew for a fact that it was sound by seeing it with my own eyes. I wouldn't be able to re-sell it with confidence in knowing that something 'might' be wrong, and I just never said anything.

Matt S

Seaman

Again, many thanks to everyone. Re-reading the posts it sounds like I asked your opinion and then told ya all to screw off! LOL not my intention at all seriously. I'm sure I'll be much more on alert with the repair questions and options thanks to everyone.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Again, many thanks to everyone. Re-reading the posts it sounds like I asked your opinion and then told ya all to screw off! LOL not my intention at all seriously. I'm sure I'll be much more on alert with the repair questions and options thanks to everyone.
"Blowing up to a manufacturer while a dealer is trying to help you is not the right course in my opinion."

Well, if I built boats, and this happened, I darn sure would want to know why. Nodoby asked you to "blow up" at anybody...just inform the Factory yourself..it will smooth the process immensely.

rndn

Commander

I'll throw my vote for a new boat. It's brand new so something is wrong as it shouldn't have cracked without an impact of some sort.

jonesg

Admiral

I vote for new boat, get one for me too.

Unfortunately until a judge votes along with us....
The fine print always state the mfger reserves the right to fix to "their" satisfaction, anyone not happy with that can sue, anyone advocating suing ought to cut the check for the lawyer.

I wouldn't worry about it, but thats just the way I am, unless the fuel tank is slamming into the hull. Too thick a gelcoat could be the answer, they don't want to rush the repair because its better to let all the cracks develop that will develop then fix it once.

It could very well be over-catalyzed too, I have tool resin gelcoat for mold making, its very tough but has a certain amount of flex when cured, I know because I flex the molds very slightly to pop the parts free.
Take a hatch and twist it slightly, the gelcoat will not crack if its been done right.

And its always better to ask for experience rather than opinions.
Opinions are more often just fear=anger based thoughts.

angler53

Seaman

I hear you guys trust me. But here's my $.02 I've learned in my short time on this earth. But first off, from the link above and other readings, I don't believe gel-coat cracking is ALWAYS a structural problem, though generally do come about from structure flex. It could be they've experienced some minor manufacturing flaws in the gelcoat alone. Someone could have fed the wrong mixture or not let it cure properly as well.

What I don't want to do is come flying out of the gates at them on this. Dealers always like the chance to make it right. They haven't even seen it yet and if they're not that concerned for something they ultimately will be responsible for then fine by me. Taking it somewhere else aside from the place that is still spending my money isn't an option, and so far this dealer has been very kind to me AFTER I gave them my money which is my service barometer.

Blowing up to a manufacturer while a dealer is trying to help you is not the right course in my opinion. The dealer will get instant follow up and we all know how stuff rolls down hill. "Why is this customer unhappy?" they'll ask. Dealers get kickbacks and incentives for happy customers. The dealer is going to get questioned and put in a stand-off mood with me if they haven't even had a chance to rectify it.

If it's NOT structural then it won't come back. Then I don't really care. If it is structurally unsafe and has a history I doubt they would say otherwise. I don't own things for only a couple years and hope to get resale. Toys, boats in particular, are not an investment. If anything I'd buy another boat from them down the road and trade this one in. Nobody knows the boat like the dealer. It is possible they HAVE seen alot of this. And it's also possible there's a TSB or whatever from the factory on how to fix it. If they have, firing off to the factory will shut the door and let them prepare. Due dilligence is alot in these arrangements. If the cracks come back, a happy dealer will much more likely take on my cause if I haven't shut the doors so quickly before they had a chance.

Lastly, if I were to get in this battle it's possible my boat will be frozen at a dealer. It's been a cold crappy winter (figures since I bought a boat) and I'd like to enjoy it by driving 800 miles to party with my family for the annual bash they do on a lake in California where I know it will be warm, pleasant and a blast with tons of friends and families and all their toys and my new one. I don't feel this issue is safety related. I figure it best to start this battle in 4 weeks right after my trip. Then have some time to shake it out before winterization. THEN have the winter to do battle as my boat would not be used anyway.

Customer service...is a two way street.

Oh, yes. So far as the proper repair I would like opinions. So far as my experience leads me, they should drill and chamfer the ends of the cracks to prevent spreading, chamfer or v-cut the cracks and lay gelcoat.

I bought a new fish and ski last summer. Right from the start I had problems with the dealer which required a call to the manufacturer. That got me no where, in fact, I was told quickly that they would in no way jeopardize the relationship with their dealer due to customer dissatisfaction. And that was just the start of my problems.
After five weeks and fifteen hours of service the motor blew up. To add to my problems I found a data plate on my new motor on my new 2007 boat indicating the motor was manufactured in mid 2005.
I took it in to the dealer and the first thing they tell me is there is no model year on motors. It's just old stock. Then they tell me that they would not replace the motor but they would overhaul it at my expense if it wasn't covered under warranty. I blew a gasket. I called the motor manufacturer demanding a new replacement. They tell me they will have the dealer disassemble it and send it to them for warranty evaluation. Guess what; that day a customer satisfaction survey comes in the mail from the motor manufacturer. I filled it out and grading the products, the dealer and customer service being as honest and true as I could.
The motor manufacturer determined that I had done nothing wrong and sent a factory rep to the boat and replaced the power head. They treated me like a king and went an extra mile to satisfy me. I have nothing but high regards for how they handled the situation, but, I still feel that due to the time in service, I was justified a new current year replacement.
That went down in August 2007. In February I get a call from the dealer. That customer satisfaction survey had found its way back down the line. Those people dog cussed me and told me they did not want my business. They said they would do everything in their power to have my warranties canceled. I took the boat 120 miles from home to get warranty work done and I am shut down. Nobody will touch it.
I have spoken to two lawyers. I live in an arbitration state and they tell me that I am only facing more grief and aggravation and would most likely not get anywhere. I guess in this day and age where corporate power and money rules I learned you don't go tugging on super mans cape.
This was only a short attempt to tell the story. It would take hours and page after page to tell the whole story. All I can say now is its buyer beware because for me it was; see ya, wouldn't want'a be yu after I signed the line.

mb2005

Cadet

I looked at your pictures and this is what mine is doing but on the top. The gelcoat cracks wander for about three feet in some places and then stop. Neither the dealer or the manufacturer will fix them for me. Approximate cost is about $800.00. My boat is only three years old and I have only about 50 hours on it. Never a Glastron for me again.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Will I enjoyed reading this thread but I wonder what was the out come!!!???? I hope you got a new one

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Man are we sue happy in this country or what?

The dealer hasn't even seen it yet let alone tried to fix it and we are filing law suites.

Slow down here. Do you really want to make more lawyers rich?
Don't they already have enough money and power in this country?

The boat owner/original poster seems to have a good handle on it.

Gel coat doesn?t just crack. 9 times out of 10 it?s a structural flaw that is allows the underlying fiberglass to flex which causes the gel coat to crack.

What concerns me more is that your dealer says don?t worry about it, we?ll fix it the next time your in, which leads me to believe that this is nothing new to him.

Had that been my boat it would be sitting in the dealer?s lot and my lawyer would be doing all the talking.

salty87

Commander

them's suing words, haha. i love the demands for a new hull too

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i was wondering how i ....or others missed this .....then i saw the dates !

OLD THREAD

its really too bad when the op seems to go wawy and doesnt post back with the results......i can only assume that he was fixed up well......if not....we would have heard about it.....

for the record......

there are a number of reasons for gellcoat to craze.....

1........ under/over catylization
2........gell coat to thick or two thin
3........stress fracturers.....(caused by impact or over stressed) (impact spots might not show up as a ding or dent....just the crazing)

if you notice in the pic....the trailer support was not far from the damaged area.....it might lend a hand on the cause....

but im betting an area too thick or thin....(no way to tell from this pic)

cheers
oops