Gel coat?

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice
I bought an old bass boat and have a question about the paint. It has metal flake but there is some kind of clear coat that has almost completely come off. I can simply scrape it with my finger and it will flake off. Under the clear coat it is kinda rough and dull, so is this the metal flake coat? There are some places where the clear coat is still stuck on well and it is smooth and has a good shine to it. So is this a clear gel coat that is covering the metal flake?

Once I scrape it all off, what are my options for getting a shine back on it?

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Gel coat?

Thanks, how do you apply it? roll and tip? and where can i find this?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes its fixable and sometimes not. The problem is if the flake gets damaged and then clear is applied over it, it may look blotchy and uneven.

Before going much further get a rattle can of clear and spray a small area to see if the results are what you want. If not then the best bet is to paint it a solid color.

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

that sounds more like what i am looking for. not gunna have this boat for too much longer. where do you reccomend finding a rattle can of clear? Is a home depot store going to have this or will this be at an automotive type store?

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not exacltly sure what I would look for so anything will help. What kind, what brand, and where can I find some of this clear coat?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Just go down to the local hardware store and get any brand of clear in a spary can, an auto parts store will have it also. All you want to do is get an idea of what it might look like before you spend all the time and money to do the whole thing with expensive products.

Just pick a small spot that is typical or worse than the rest of the boat and see what it looks like after a few coats of clear.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hi Karl

I agree that the bottom should be no big deal because its white.

Now the metal flake is a different story. Gelling flake is the most difficult to do in the profession. Clear Gel has a tendancy to yellow out if not done correctly. ( I personally try to stay away from doing flake If I can )

So I would agree.

Prep what you have with 120 g . Spray some epoxy primer ( US paints 545 is very good ) then 400 grit and topcoat with imron or awl grip 2000.

YD.

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

Actuall, the top cap is the only part that is in bad shape. Everything below is in pretty good shape, just some oxidized spots here and there.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

top cap is what im talking about m8..

Metal flake..dont mess with it..

Your talking about a "cats tongue" ( exposed metal flake ) ..very hard to blend..

Like I said.. clearing with gel would be ... hard..

YD.

Karl AR

Recruit

Hello Everyone! I had PMed and asked the question to you Y.D. about the gelcoat and looks like me and Japes are in a very similar situation.

Any input from anyone who has done this or knows how to do this would be verymuch appreciated!

MY MAIN QUESTION: Would be what would be the best way to regel/paint within a limited budget (cheaper the better) and somthing that will last 4 or 5 years or so?

BOAT INFO:
I recently have been restoring an old Terry 1978 4.7m(15'6") bassboat. Split halves new deck, stringers, billage area, and transom, etc.... Now before I put the halves back together.. dont have a pic avalable on this 'puter.

Top Half: has a peeling topcoat exposing the metalflake. It is worn almost thru the blue metalflake in some areas where the flakes are loose and discolored and very rough. This top half isn't much it's just more or less a rim around the boat with the dash and motorwell molded in.

Bottom Hull Half: The outside is mainly just an old white gel hull. There is a blue stripe that has the same metalflake problem as the tophalf. and the white gelcoat has scratches and nicks here and there I would like to fill. the blue stripe i would like to gel or paint over white as well. If possible repaint or gel the whole hull.

The boat only sees fresh water 1-2 times a week for lake fishing and is stored in a carport and covered the rest of the time.

I was looking into rustoleum marine primer and topcoat (might not be the best but does have uv protection and would be cheap to touch up). also the interlux perfection and primecoat, and as well white gelcoat. pretty confused tho.

Thanks again!

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gotta be careful about sanding metal flake. If the clear is gone and you sand the metal flake it will take away from the reflection in the flake. You'll get a dull finish. It's kind of a tough situation. Cheapest way is just rattle can it but if you want to redo it you'll have to redo the metal flake as well. If you sand you sand down like flake if you don't you don't get a good adhesion for the clear.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Karl AR

Welcome to Iboats.

It may be best to start your own thread with these questions so we don't get confused as to what and who's questions we may be answering. Sometimes your questions and answers will get lost in a post that isn't yours.

Karl AR

Recruit

Karl AR

Welcome to Iboats.

It may be best to start your own thread with these questions so we don't get confused as to what and who's questions we may be answering. Sometimes your questions and answers will get lost in a post that isn't yours.

I think a private question of mine got answered on here is why i posted.

Thanks for the welcome, I've started a seprate thread.

Good luck with the boat Japes15!