Gel coat vendors??

El Conquistador

Recruit
Hello all,

I tried the search feature, no luck, I dunno maybe my query was off? Anyway I have a 1978 Baja runabout, the transom had been repaired by the previous owner was made functional for a time but has weakened and now is being replaced/redone. I would love to find a source for the metal flake gel coat, I have searched online and asked some local boat dealers but keep hitting a dead end. I thought I would try a boating forum, anyone able to point me in a good direction please?IMG_20210625_164740352.jpgIMG_20210625_164700105.jpg

briangcc

Commander
I'd look up FriscoBoater on youtube...specifically his Glastron rebuild from start to finish. He has a vid in there going over how he matched the glitter job on that boat using gel coat.

About 14 min in he goes over matching the existing glitter gel.

El Conquistador

Recruit
I'd look up FriscoBoater on youtube...specifically his Glastron rebuild from start to finish. He has a vid in there going over how he matched the glitter job on that boat using gel coat.

About 14 min in he goes over matching the existing glitter gel.
Thanks will do!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hello all,

I tried the search feature, no luck, I dunno maybe my query was off? Anyway I have a 1978 Baja runabout, the transom had been repaired by the previous owner was made functional for a time but has weakened and now is being replaced/redone. I would love to find a source for the metal flake gel coat, I have searched online and asked some local boat dealers but keep hitting a dead end. I thought I would try a boating forum, anyone able to point me in a good direction please?View attachment 357327View attachment 357328
read this https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/gelcoating-the-whole-boat-down-to-the-waterline.61694/

El Conquistador

Recruit
Thanks for th replies! I am seeking a supplier, a place to buy the flake not the how to restore/apply it. Having a tough time finding the colors of flake for this year of Baja.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for th replies! I am seeking a supplier, a place to buy the flake not the how to restore/apply it. Having a tough time finding the colors of flake for this year of Baja.
the link I posted had a list and link of a supplier. you have to mix your own color