gel coat repair

johnntab

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2004 Nitro bass boat, and I recently gave it the first major flaw in its appearance. I SCRAPED the bottom of the hull on a shallow rock. The bottom of my boat is black, and the scrape has removed the colored part of the gelcoat, now I can see white material under the black. The scrape is not very deep. How should I proceed to fix such a problem? Should I fix it? I have read through some of the other posts, but couldn't find anything that helped with my situation. I may be able to post pictures if it would be helpful.

Laddies

Banned
Re: gel coat repair

If possiable get gel coat with wax in it to help it harden, gelcoat that is exposed to the air will not harden. Make sure the area is clean and dry apply only enough gelcoat to fill the void and cover with wax paper, as you cover it squeegee the excess gelcoat level, then back the repair with something that conforms to that area of the hull and let dry---Bob

dka1ser

Seaman Apprentice

I assume that it being a bassboat implies metal flake finish? Metal flakes are quite difficult to spot repair, you will have to feather out the damaged area, clean with acetone, dab on some new clear gelcoat, and when I watched the repair done, he got a small handful of new flakes, and blew them onto the new wet clear. After that spray on the top layer of clear gelcoat and wetsand, buff, wetsand, buff, buff, buff, buff... <br /><br />Eventually it looked OK, but since yours is on bottom I'd leave it there and forget about it. As long as it just removed the gelcoat and not gashed into the fiberglass you'll be ok, gelcoat is just for appearance. <br /><br />The first ding is always the most painful. Its on the bottom, its cosmetic, so I'd forget about it.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Being as the boat is so new I think you contact the mfg and get a gelcoat patch kit. They should have something to match, and a good repair will be strong and invisible. Chief

johnntab

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info/advice. The scrape is on the very bottom near the transom, so appearance is not a big problem. The gelcoat in that area is plain black, no metal flake. It seems like a good repair can be made quite easily based on what you say. I will make an attempt, and if it doesnt work, I will ask again.<br />Thanks<br />Bass Man

LubeDude

Admiral

BassMan:<br /><br />Are you going to participate in the online tournament?