gel coat chips

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice
just like the title says, small chips in gell coat, down to fiber glass. it doesnt have to look show room good, but what can i fill these in with so i dont get water in the hull, also the chips are starting to spider crack around the edges, will filling it stop the cracks?

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice
Re: gel coat chips

also, ive used marine 5200 on the underside in a few small spots, and so far so good. but id like some thing that completely hardens for the sides of the boat. ive never used epoxy on any thing, is that the direction i should go

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

i have not done such repairs yet and hopefully someone will jump in eventually.. but from the videos i watch on youtube about repairing gel coat cracks etc. it looks like you might need a dremel tool, and some fiberglass materials. as far as 5200 i am doubting it will hold up in the long run.. but like i said dont hold me to that i am new to this boat stuff, but just a suggesting browse youtube and see if you cant gain any new ideas from there i sure did

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

jelcoat and cabosil is what you will need got pics this will help ur response

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Pics always help us to help you. a Gelcoat repair kit is all you will need. A dremel tool would be your best tool with a v bit to open the spider cracks. Then use 60 grit paper to sand the gouges and scuff the surrounding area. Wipe it all down with acetone, mix the Gel coat and apply the paste to the area. Follow the directions and you'll be done in an hour.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

just like the title says, small chips in gell coat, down to fiber glass. it doesnt have to look show room good, but what can i fill these in with so i dont get water in the hull, also the chips are starting to spider crack around the edges, will filling it stop the cracks?

Do not worry.. water will not get into your hull from a chip.

You dont have to even worry about your cracks ..

If you like your cosmetic repairs..then we go from there .. but I see no worries about your current condition :) ..

YD.