Geez, It's an Epidemic!

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, I actually did nothing in the way of looking for this one! It was brought to me and I paid next to nothing for it - SWEET SCORE!! I had a guy email me saying he had an old Gale that he wanted to get rid of. He had gotten my email address from his friend that had sold me an old Evinrude and decided to see if I was interested...I was! I made a promise to the GF a while ago that I'd slow down buying these things until more of the ones I have are repaired/running. Geez!:rolleyes:

It's a nice '59 35hp Gale "sovereign" that came complete with the electric (solenoid? :confused:) box and throttle control box and cables. Everything is in very good shape with the only exception being the throttle seems to be stuck (I think magneto is stuck). The flywheel turns freely and all the parts seem to be present. It's going to stay on the floor and I'm not going to work on this until I install my 50hp on the back of my Westfield, then I'll have a real nice stand with wheels to put it on.

I'm telling you, IT'S A DISEASE!! (a great one at that!!) Here are some pictures:

HPIM0835.jpg

HPIM0834.jpg

HPIM0833.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas (sorry for the picture quality)
HPIM0832.jpg

More pictures to follow...

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Geez, It's an Epidemic!

Here are the rest of the pictures:

No electric start (at least I don't think so).
HPIM0828.jpg

The carb knobs and choke seem to be in the same location as the JohnnyRudes of the same era.
HPIM0827.jpg

I wasn't even alive in the '50s, but man do I miss them!
HPIM0825.jpg

The electrical harness:
HPIM0823.jpg

One of the throttle control and one of them hooked up to the motor. The coolest part is I found out these cables will also work on my '57 Johnson Seahorse 10 too!
HPIM0826.jpg

HPIM0824.jpg

Thanks for the new servers iboats, now I can pollute the forums with even more pictures! Just kidding!!

BOB

Last edited:

ohm116

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice score Bob, they do tend to find you after a while :D

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Good work, nice find...I've rigged an old boat trailer hand winch in the shop just so I can easily lift those kind/size motors. I'll bet it runs good, too, but they are a bit thirsty.

ohm116

Petty Officer 1st Class

I take it it is set up for pull-pull cable steering?

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys, Ive printed out your responses and submitted them to the wet blank...my girlfriend...she was noticeably unimpressed.:rolleyes:

aganser - Yeah, I've been lurking around the aomci.org site looking through their classified pages for a while now. I'm planning on becoming a member.

tmcalavy - Unfortunately the ceiling in my shop is too low, about 6 1/2' and I'm 6'3". I've broken more than a few light bulbs with my noggin accidentally.:eek: I do have a cherry picker, but I don't really know how to rig the motor to be lifted. My '97 50hp has a lift ring (nice feature), but no such luck with the 35hp.

ohm116 - If more motors that are in this condition find me I won't be complaining. The motor probably did have the pulley steering system, but the boat it came off of is long rotted away. I don't have anything other than my MFG that I could run this on, but the set-up for that is much more modern. I've been actively looking for an old '50s-60's aluminum boat I could take turns running my motors on, looks like I'm going to have to find one that can handle a 35hp...Hey Honey, guess what I just bought!:D:D

BOB

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yeah, my shop is almost a shorty, too. I'm 6'3" and I could literally nail myself in the scull if I jump straight up in the shop. I have my old trailer winch on one of the shelf 2X6 uprights, at waist level, and an old pulley hanging off one of the rafter braces...gives me enough lift to get those heavy old girls off the workrack without using my back...ouch! Check the AOMCI chapter links...I bet there's a club within driving range with a summer swap meet coming up.
If the starter is toast, don't bother with the recoil/pull start...you'll wear out your arm/shoulder. Much easier to pull the recoil and use the notch in the flywheel and a stout rope...more diameter leverage that way. Sweet deal getting the control box and harness to boot.