Gearlube in gas!

tmasloske

Seaman Apprentice
How could that happen? Well, if it's dark in the garage and you grab a quart bottle of quicksilver outboard oil and fail to notice it's actully gear lube and then quickly measure 8 ounces into another bottle.

I mixed this into 3 gallons of gas. If I now add the proper outboard oil, can I burn this in my outboards? Or, will it cause any problems?

What a bonehead move! :facepalm:

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gearlube in gas!

thin your petrol out with mixing some accetone in that will break down the viscosity of the oil & reduce the carbon biuld up :)

dodgeboy1979

Seaman Apprentice

if it were me i would get rid of the gas you have and mix a proper batch of fuel.

tmasloske

Seaman Apprentice

How much Acetone should I add? I saw on the internet to add 3 Oz. to 10 Gallons of gas to improve gas milage in cars. I'm thinking of burning this gas in my lawn mower and snow thrower since they are both 4 strokes. Will probably smoke quite a bit.

robert graham

Admiral

if it were me i would get rid of the gas you have and mix a proper batch of fuel.
Exactly!...it ain't worth screwing up your motor for 3 gallons of gas and 8 ounces of 80-90 gear lube....OR you can save it to throw on a yellow jacket nest!...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Don’t add acetone, it’s an “internet fact” that it helps, not a real life fact. Acetone won’t reduce the viscosity of the mix enough to make a difference, so run it in the mower or something else.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Don’t add acetone, it’s an “internet fact” that it helps, not a real life fact. Acetone won’t reduce the viscosity of mix enough to make a difference, so run it in the mower or something else.

I'd dilute it with more gas, then run it in the mower.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can burn it but I would add 2 stroke oil...... as mentioned above it will keep the bugs away.

I would not go acetone either.

Be very thankful it was a small amount in a small tank........ could have been worse.

Be ready to clean your spark plugs later too.

Smaile we have ALL made small errors like that.

tmasloske

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies. Found a gas station in my area that takes old gas free of charge. I also have some old gas in outboard tanks that I somehow collected along with my old outboard collection. Opportunity to get rid of all that as well.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Heck I would use it your car or mower before I gave it away. I burn old 2-stroke fuel in my vehicles every year and it has never hurt anything.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I vote dump it unless you have a reason to burn it; I wouldn't spend time or risk equipment over $10 gas.

since you have a station that takes it for free, the problem is solved. Those old gans have to go, too; clean them out while you are at it: dump all the gas into a jerry can to take to the gas station; clean out the old tanks with carb cleaner and dump that in, too.

dodgeboy1979

Seaman Apprentice

+1 i always throw the remainder of my mixed 2 stoke boat fuel in my truck at the end of the season.