"Geared" Boom

edge0337

Recruit
I have just bought a Sidney LOA17, I have sailed in the distant past on small sunfish type boats. The Sidney made in 1966 was purchased from an estate so I didn't get much in the way of info on it.

after attaching the boom to the mast, I was rigging the topping lift when I heard a couple of clicks and the boom turned clockwise. I could not reposition by turning the boom counter clockwise.

A further check of the gooseneck, or attachment that brings the mast and boom together showed a gearlike metal plate on the boom that only allows the boom to turn clockwise. I could not find a locking or release, so it appears the only solution was to continue the clockwise rotation making a full 360, which of course is not practical.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of boom setup?

Thanks for any help...Rich

southkogs

Staff member
Could that be a furler for the main sail? I've never had one, so I'm not sure how they unlock, but they've always looked kinda' handy.

Welcome aboard.

edge0337

Recruit
Could that be a furler for the main sail? I've never had one, so I'm not sure how they unlock, but they've always looked kinda' handy.

Welcome aboard.
Thanks for the reply and the welcome southkogs. That is what I'm thinking but I can't find any info on the mechanics of that type boom.

I'll post a photo but right now I just have a drawing. The small arrows pointing left represent small "ramps" that the opposing gear slides up then when it reaches the top of the ramp it drops off onto the next ramp as shown by the arrows pointing down.

I'm unable to figure out how to keep it from inadvertently making that movement thereby moving the boom further clockwise, which might be fine for furling but not so good for sailing.

Thanks again

Attachments

• 20210203_201358.jpg
    20210203_201358.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

southkogs

Staff member
I'm outside any real experience, but is there a pin in the gooseneck that can be removed easily to allow it to roll counter clockwise?

The boom systems like that were born in the 1960s. All by hand, no cranks for those I believe. I think the older sets were designed so you could easily unfurl as you headed out, but furling was a little harder ... some guys even opted to reef the sail and roll it up in port.

edge0337

Recruit
Thanks again southkogs. That would make sense. I may have missed the pin or the pin may be missing. I'll check it out tomorrow

edge0337

Recruit
I'm outside any real experience, but is there a pin in the gooseneck that can be removed easily to allow it to roll counter clockwise?

The boom systems like that were born in the 1960s. All by hand, no cranks for those I believe. I think the older sets were designed so you could easily unfurl as you headed out, but furling was a little harder ... some guys even opted to reef the sail and roll it up in port.
Hi again southkogs. the gears are disengaged by grasping the boom and pushing it aft. I'm thinking it might work as a reefing system

Rich

southkogs

Staff member
There ya' go! Yeah: it's a furler then. That was a new thing in the 1960s. Like I said, never had one of any kind. But the new one's look pretty slick. If you can manage to tug on the boom enough to get it loose while underway, you can furl it back down to reduce sail area. I've heard mixed stories on the old one's ... sometimes they'll furl back up, and sometimes you just reef 'em 'til you get back to the pier.

I have no clue as to how you rig the sails on it though. Does it seem to spring wind, or do you have to wind it by hand?