gear oil tan color

vallered

Cadet
Hi everybody,

I winterized by boat with a 1990 90 ho force outboard motor and noticed that the lower unit was tan color when i drained it to replace with new. I am guessing that this means water has gotten into the lower unit. Any ideas of what commonly causes this and how much it is to fix.

Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: gear oil tan color

Could be as simple as the seals on the drain plugs. Most folks replace these every time they change the lower unit lube.If it is not the plug seals it is most likely the seals in the lower unit,prop shaft,drive shaft,and shift
shaft.I don't have a clue what a shop would charge.If it is only the seals they don't cost that much but if bearings or gears are bad it would be costly.Some folks with old omc motors that leak a little just change the oil more often until they can get it repaired.Whether it is ok for your motor i don't know.
For now change the lube and plug seals and run it a few hours and check the lube and make your decision then.

vallered

Cadet

steelespike said:
Could be as simple as the seals on the drain plugs. Most folks replace these every time they change the lower unit lube.If it is not the plug seals it is most likely the seals in the lower unit,prop shaft,drive shaft,and shift
shaft.I don't have a clue what a shop would charge.If it is only the seals they don't cost that much but if bearings or gears are bad it would be costly.Some folks with old omc motors that leak a little just change the oil more often until they can get it repaired.Whether it is ok for your motor i don't know.
For now change the lube and plug seals and run it a few hours and check the lube and make your decision then.

vallered

Cadet

thanks for your advice. I changed the seals on the plug in the spring whe I got it ready for the summer. I did not see any metal shaving in the oil I am hoping its just seals