Gear oil screw

BigFishKen

Seaman Apprentice
My niebor and I have been trying to remove the bottom screw on his '96 Johnson 90 hp to replace the gear oil. We're starting to shred it up pretty good. Is there a good trick we should know?? Could we apply a little heat?? It's an inset flathead screw. Thanks for any input.....Ken

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Gear oil screw

These vent screws are usually impacted on (like the lug nuts on a car). You will need an impact driver. This is a hand held screwdriver that has a spring inside.It's designed to be struck with a hammer while turning in the direction required (righty,tighty...Lefty,loosey).<br />They run between 10 and 15 buks,but these screws can be impossable to remove without one.<br />I strongly reccommend using a new screw if that one is shredded. And also new screw gaskets. These are cheap and avaiable at most marinas or boat shops.

BigFishKen

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks...We tried the "poor mans" impact driver. (A hammer on the end of a screw driver as we turned). We may try to locate someone with air tools...Ken

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I know what you mean about the "poor man's impact driver" LOL.<br />I broke-down and bought one many moons ago when I was into motorcycles real heavy.<br />They have the benifit of turning the screw while the down-force is there. They do work great.<br />But it took me a while to get off my very skinny wallet while i had a good screwdriver and hammer
smile.gif

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Use a dremel tool with a fiberglass cutoff wheel to make the slot deeper in the screw, then a normal screwdriver bit wont mangle it. I usually end up using a hardened bit, in an appropriate size socket wrench and they pop free pretty easily.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Good idea about the Dremmel tool,mbb. I have had to do that on occasion too.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Impact driver is like prayin in church...you aint doin much Wrenchin without one...

BigFishKen

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help....I'm lookin' for a good excuse to buy a dremmel...See ya on the water...Ken