Gear oil questions.

sycostang67

Seaman Apprentice
I'm gathering the stuff to winterize my motor, 1974, 70hp Evinrude for the first time. Is there a specific weight of Marine grade gear oil I need to use or is it mostly all the same weight? I've also been doing research into the winterizing procedure and one thing that puzzles me is filling the gear case from the bottom. Why is that, wouldn't it be easier to pour it in from the top plug?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The proper gearlube for that type lower unit is what called "HiVis 90w" Nothing else will do, available at your dealership, also Wal*Mart, and many other stores. he name "HiVis 90w" will be visible on the container.

Gearcases are filled from the bottom so as to have the air escape at the top oil level hole. It is impossible unless you want to take all day to fill one at the top hole... and just one day is a rough guess... think about it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with the pump and adapter, most gear cases can be refilled in a few minutes. as stated, if you poured into the vent, it would take all day for the air bubbles to escape and you would end up with a low fill and burn up your lower unit gearset.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
In my above post/reply (Post #2), I stated and I quote "The proper gearlube for that type lower unit is what called "HiVis 90w" Nothing else will do, available at your dealership, also Wal*Mart, and many other stores.The name "HiVis 90w" will be visible on the container." <-- Disregard this reply/quote!

Correction: It dawned upon me after inserting the above that your 70hp is a 1974 model, and as such has a shift mechanism what is called a "Shift Assist" gearcase... and this type gearcase incorporates a "oil pump". The proper lube to use in this (your) gearcase is what is called "Premium Blend" gearcase lube, also known as "Type C" gearcase lube... nothing else will do. The container will also most likely state that it is to be used with the electric shift units.

DO NOT use "HiVis" gearcase lube as per my post #2 as HiVis is too heavy to flow through the oil pump properly.

sycostang67

Seaman Apprentice
In my above post/reply (Post #2), I stated and I quote "The proper gearlube for that type lower unit is what called "HiVis 90w" Nothing else will do, available at your dealership, also Wal*Mart, and many other stores.The name "HiVis 90w" will be visible on the container." <-- Disregard this reply/quote!

Correction: It dawned upon me after inserting the above that your 70hp is a 1974 model, and as such has a shift mechanism what is called a "Shift Assist" gearcase... and this type gearcase incorporates a "oil pump". The proper lube to use in this (your) gearcase is what is called "Premium Blend" gearcase lube, also known as "Type C" gearcase lube... nothing else will do. The container will also most likely state that it is to be used with the electric shift units.

DO NOT use "HiVis" gearcase lube as per my post #2 as HiVis is too heavy to flow through the oil pump properly.

Thanks for the update, I'll look for the Premium blend Type C lube.

Understood on the fill hole, I already have a gear oil pump, just need to find a fitting for the lower hole then.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I think you will find that "Hi-Vis" is an OMC/ BRP registered trademark. Other brands will not therefore, be labelled "Hi-Vis"

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Premium Blend is for the Hydro-Electric Shifts and Electric shift engines. In 1973 OMC switched to the Hydro-Mechanical Shift, and introduced a 'New' oil for them, Hi Vis.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
HI-VIS----Works just fine in the 73 and later motors with the hydro- mechanical shift.----AKA " powershift II " system.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I stand by my revised post/reply pertaining to "Premium Blend" via OMC's bulletin.... and that's good enough for me.