Gear oil for 15 hp Evinrude outboard

Hi guys it's been another great year on the water, I've got my little motor down stairs in the basement for the winter. I'm planning on changing the lower end oil here soon. My gear oil has been sitting in my dock cabinets and it's recently gotten pretty cold here in Illinois.I didn't think it would matter but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask, does it hurt gear oil to sit in freezing temperatures. Also on another note. What kind of gasket do I want for my lower end screws.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Cold won't hurt the oil. Let it sit at room temp for awhile before you use it.

If it's an Evinrude, you need Evinrude washers for the plugs. If you don't have a local dealer with old stock, Iboats should have it. Just google Evinrude or OMC lower unit drain plug washers.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I changed mine today and it was a ***** doing it when the oil was cold. It will definitely make it easier if it warm.

Cold won't hurt the oil. Let it sit at room temp for awhile before you use it.

If it's an Evinrude, you need Evinrude washers for the plugs. If you don't have a local dealer with old stock, Iboats should have it. Just google Evinrude or OMC lower unit drain plug washers.
Ok cool thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, put the gear oil in the kitchen before you try to change that. Wifey will like that a lot.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Have improvised with a hair dryer on the lower unit -- helps some with draining. Probably would help to use the dryer on the lube bottles as well.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I set my oil or things that thicken up in the cold beside the wood stove for the night. They flow fine.

But no cold doesn't hurt them. If you trailer your boat in the cold it sits inside your lower unit at cold temperatures. It's made to flow cold it's just thicker. it can go way down to negatives. It's essentially the same oil in the rear end of trucks and those things run around at 60 below up in Alaska and Canada. The cold just makes it hard to drain it in a short period of time and harder to add to it.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I remember seeing the news many many years ago when oil still came in cans. A garage in Alaska open a can of oil turned it upside down and nothing came out. Chilly!

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I highly recommend synthetic gear oil. Synthetics dont turn into molasses when it gets cold.