Gear Lube leak, bad oil seal

I have a 2001 Alpha 1 Gen II sterndrive (sn: OL917065) that has a gear lube leak. My buddy and I drained and removed the sterndrive from the boat and did a pressure test on the drive. We found a leak coming from the drive shaft housing oil seals. We also found that the u-joint bellows and gimbal bearing need to be replaced.

I have a mechanic buddy of mine helping me with some of the easier annual maintenance tasks. (change oil, replace impeller, etc.) He is not a boat mechanic, but very experienced with engine repair and precision engineering. We are prepared and confident that we can handle the Gimbal bearing and bellows replacement. We are not so confident about replacing the drive shaft housing oil seals.

The seals I refer two can be seen in on page 3A-4 in service manual #14 (90-818177--3 APRIL 2001) indicated as #5 in the Drive Shaft Housing Exploded Parts View.

I have the factory service manuals and it's not clear to me if we are required to check the driven gear location when we re-assemble the drive shaft housing. Also the manual lists the step to "Check and adjust the upper driven gear bearing preload as follows..." its also not clear to me if this is required when replacing these seals.

I have talked with a neighbor down the street who told me he replaced these seals last year in his garage and it was not as complicated as it sounds. He said the biggest thing to be careful about are keeping track of the extremely fragile shims and putting them back correctly. I also found this link which seems to indicate the same thing (see post#4) http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1534136#post1534136

As far as I can tell the general tasks of this job is are: remove the u-joint assembly (using the merc retainer wrench). Remove the driven gear assembly. Remove the bearing cup (using a slide hammer puller). Replace the seals and reassemble accordingly.

Can anyone give me some advice on the difficulty level of this task?
Has anyone out there replaced these two oil seals? What was your experience like?

Would you say this can be tackled by some patient first timers that are handy with a wrench, or is there a high risk level of doing it incorrectly?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Gear Lube leak, bad oil seal

"Remove the bearing cup (using a slide hammer puller). Replace the seals and reassemble accordingly"

Well i have done it and (we have a 44 hour merc night school here ) and i could never understand why you need to pull the bearing cup as the seals can still be driven in with a different driver

The hard part is that if your going that far why not reseal the whole upper and be done with it

The drive shaft seal is a bit harder because you need to set the rolling torque

Re: Gear Lube leak, bad oil seal

Another specific question I have is:
Does removing u-joint retainer ring remove preload from bearings in the u-joint assembly or is that done with the nut on the driven gear at the end of the u-joint assembly?