100/1 oil gas?

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, I have an 86 15hp evinrude outboard and it says to use 100/1 is this O.K.? Also do I have to unplug the fuel line or can I leave it hooked up? I use it 2 times a month.

buttonhook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 100/1 oil gas?

if you use it 2 times a month you had better not use 100:1!!!!!!!!! it will rust up on you fast!! My 90 28hp johnson say 100:1 ok too but only if use everyday and not a wot. mix 50:1 you'll be better off.<br />that 100:1 is for workboat that putt around all day everyday.<br />use 100:1 and you will be sorry!! beside how much is the cost of oil(cheap!!!!!!)

Hooty

Rear Admiral

'afternoon Warren.<br /><br />100:1? I wouldn't do it. No more then 50:1. <br /><br />There's been some discussion here about running the carbs bowls dry when you're finished boating. Personally, I don't do it. The reason is when you cut off the fuel, you also cut off the lubricant. What I do, is every day or so, I'll walk by and give the priming bulb several squeezes and fill the carburetor bowls. That way,they don't dry out.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

ranger69dv

Seaman Apprentice

These guys are absolutly right, use no more than 50:1, I have absolutly no idea what evinrude was thinking telling you 100 was the way to go. unless your a 9-5 fisherman go with the trusted mixture

brianmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do it just to see what happens!!! Ha ha! JK! :p

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Thanks for the help guys....My outboard says thanks too.........Warren By the way can I keep it plugged in????? For some reason when I unplug it, I have a hard time getting fuel to the motor again. I have went through 3 fuel lines with the bulb in it and now gave up. I have to reach back and pull the plug halfway out and bleed the fuel through like brakes on a car till I get squirted in the face with gas then plug it in and it starts. If I leave it plugged in no problems, starts up first pull everytime......Anyone else ever see this happen??????

Hooty

Rear Admiral

By all means, leave it plugged in.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

50:1. You might try carefully inserting a nail or small Phillips scredriver slightly into the female plug at the motor after you unplug it -- being sure to point the thing away from you. After you relieve the pressure in the line, you will probably be able to reattach it to the engine without problems, and you might find you can also squeeze gas into the motor again in the normal fashion.