Gear Lube Drain Plug

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys/Gals:<br /><br />I was winterizing my Merc and when I went to drain the lower unit, the drain plug is worn off enough that I am not able to remove it (Damn slot head fitting!!!). Any ideas how to get it off??<br /><br />Craig

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gear Lube Drain Plug

If you can carefully deepen the worn slot with a Dremel or file you might just be able to get a new grip on it. <br /><br />Put some Liquid Wrench penetrating oil on it the night before you attempt to remove it.<br /><br />When you attempt to unscrew it again don't use the wrong size or too small a screwdriver for the new slot or you will ruin it as well. <br /><br />Firmly insert the properly sized screwdriver into the new slot but before you attempt to unscrew it, take a small hammer and "gently" tap on the screw a couple times to loosen up the threads. <br /><br />Keep the screwdriver flush in the slot and attempt to turn it out counterclockwise. If it won't unscrew and starts to mess up your new slot, stop immediately and try reoiling it again. After the oil has had some time to work itself in, gently tap it a couple of times and try the screw driver again. This should work. If it doesn't then you may need to use a plug removal tap.<br /><br />Before you start this project have a new replacement drain plug in hand because you don't want'to risk this problem all over again. And make sure you replace the washer for the oil drain plug to keep it water tight. <br /><br />Don't overtighten it.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Use a hand impact tool with a large screw driver bit to remove the plug. Replace with a new plug and gasket.

inlineal

Seaman Apprentice

Right on Jim.!!...I learned my lesson long ago by not using a thick enough screw driver on those shallow slot gear housing plugs..The impact driver and a wide thick bit allows you a good grip as not to wipe out the slot..And you can use the impact to get the stubborn ones out..Al..

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. I'll find one and try it. Napa should have them.<br /><br />Craig