Gear linkage

emoney

Commander
Re: Gear linkage

OP, these aren't in the manual they're at

wwww (dot) boats (dot) net

Can't post a link here. But lots of good drawings on diff systems there.

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

View attachment upper unit.pdfI took these with my phone last night. I can see the treads above the coupling but will have to remove the lower unit again to have better access to remove the coupling completely. I downloaded to PDF's of the the force technitians manual that I own showing the parts and how they assemble.

wickware

Lieutenant

1. It appears there are some bad threads if the coupling w/n turn by hand.

2. Could the force from the bad threads take away needed free-play before locking?

3. If the coupling is not adjusted the full dist to lock is it not adjusted to get all gears?

4. Approx how much travel is it to get all gears with the rod by hand and compared to threads?

5. Is the length of threads at the bottom fixed, making an auto adjust? I c/n see the diagram.

6. Are the bad threads right-hand and will you be able to chase/dress them clean, new coupling if needed.

7. IMO, when the coupling can be moved by hand before locking it might be a difference

8. I tried to add a little light to see the thread damage which d/n look too bad IMO.
I file or grind flutes/Vs in nuts and bolts to chase when I d/n have the tap/die needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0654[2].jpg
    IMG_0654[2].jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0655[1].jpg
    IMG_0655[1].jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, it is a right hand thread and the bottom threads are set which would make it self adjusting. I can only turn the coupling with a wrench and it will turn twice before binding. I would yes to Question #2 but do not know the answers to #'s 3 and 4.

wickware

Lieutenant

Moving the shift rod by hand and looking at the fixed threads should answer 3 & 4 (by feeling the gears). Are the lower threads the only threads you need a wrench vs your hand to turn the coupler? If so you might be able to chase/dress the lower threads w/o dropping the LU.

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

was out of town over the weekend, sorry about the late replay. No, the coupler is on the upper threads. I turn it to lower onto the lower threads and it binds before it can grab them.

emoney

Commander

Ok, you're saying the coupler is binding on the upper shift shaft then, right? It won't come down far enough to meet enough threads on the lower? Just a dumb question, but what happens if you put the shift lever into the same gear the lower unit is in? If forward raises the upper shaft, then try reverse, etc.

What changed since you lowered it? When you took the LU off, did you happen to turn the adjustment nut instead of the coupler when separating the two? Something's obviously different it's just sometimes a process to narrow down to what that is. For instance, was it extremely "tight" to separate at the shift linkage and could you have stripped out more threads than thought, in the coupler? Was the coupler totally off the upper shift shaft at some point and possibly got cross-threaded?

zoe'sdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Both the lower unit and gear selector are in neutral. When I disconnected the gear linkage I threaded the coupling up the shaft. I did not remove the coupling or adjust the lower adjustment bolt. If I have time this weekend I will remove the lower unit and take more picutres.

emoney

Commander

BTW, if you're using Photobucket you can also easily upload a video. It might help Wickware to see exactly what's happening when you try to thread them back together and it links to here just like a picture does. Just a suggestion. I wish I knew how to help you because I know you've been fighting this issue for quite a while and I've "been there, done that" just not this model engine. In my case, the shift shaft had come out of the shift cam in the gearcase and I fought it for 2 weeks getting it back in. It's rather frustrating, especially when we know it was working before we attempted to do something as simple as maintenance. But, the good news is, once Wickware or Frank or Jerry or FF or any of those guys actually get a good feel for what's happening, they'll be able to point you in the right direction and it'll probably be something simple. Those problems are the easiest to overlook for some reason.