Gauges

Rich Smith

Cadet
Looking for a OE fuel/gas gauge and Trim Tilt gauge for 1991 Phantom 196 SST with a Evenrude 150 XP

Thanks
Rich

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If the gauges are OEM specific, they may be hard to find. My '88 SeaRay had teleflex gauges, with an SR emblem on them, in a blue green.

Luckily the replacement tempo gauges were real similar in color scheme, but without the SR. They were unnoticeable after installation.

I guess the word is, if no OEM supply, try to match 'em up best you can, or buy a new gauge set, so they do match.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
As mentioned, OEM gauges are usually private labeled and tweeked from standard offerings

You may be able to find similar

Gauge company changes since 1991

Teleflex gauges are now VeeThree (mostly OEM, still sold as Teleflex thru Sierra on sites like iBoats)
Beede gauges are now part of Faria gauges.
VDO is still VDO (but owned by continental now)
COBO is still COBO
Smith gauges is still Smith

Rich Smith

Cadet
The problem is, I did install aftermarket gauges. The fuel gauge and trim/tilt don't respond to the senders? I used the recommended fuel sender (reads goofy)I still have original sender. Installed two different trim/tilt gauges with no success? I can do without these, but I bug's the heck out of me when things don't work properly!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The problem is, I did install aftermarket gauges. The fuel gauge and trim/tilt don't respond to the senders? I used the recommended fuel sender (reads goofy)I still have original sender. Installed two different trim/tilt gauges with no success? I can do without these, but I bug's the heck out of me when things don't work properly!
What brand did you buy? Most marine gauges are standardized with sender values for fuel/oil/temp. Trim is specific to brand of sender

Automotive gauges use a different resistance range.

European gauges different than US for resistance range

Rich Smith

Cadet
Omega, I bought the package deal Tach, Speed, Fuel (with recommended float sender ie; universal) and trim/tilt. I would replace the whole works if the proper gauges were right.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Omega, I bought the package deal Tach, Speed, Fuel (with recommended float sender ie; universal) and trim/tilt. I would replace the whole works if the proper gauges were right.
Did you buy off of Amazon or eBay?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
To be honest, I never heard of Omega Kustom gauges before this thread.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, those should be standard gauges and use standard senders. Standard fuel gauges should work just fine.

Trim gauge senders are unique to engine manufacturers. You might doublecheck your gauge to see if it matches your sender.

PS I always got rid of my trim gauges, in favor of a water pressure gauge for my outboards. Water pressure is much more important than those inaccurate trim gauges. Trim the boat by feel. The gauges will only reliably tell you if the motor is all the way up or down. You can tell that by the sound of the trim motor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you tried a couple different fuel gauges and had the same result, then the gauge is not the problem. The problem lies with the sender or the wiring. If you had the same experience with the trim gauge, then the problem is not the gauge but rather the sender or the wiring. If you are using a standard float type fuel sender, be very careful when tightening the electrical connection at the sender. Get too greedy with the nut and you can spin the vertical support on the sender (inside the tank) and it can short the sender.